The RPG League

Started by avisarr, September 23, 2005, 11:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avisarr

I've had a couple of people ask me about the RPG League. If you aren't familiar with it, the RPG League was a great web site that used to rate role playing sites and online worlds. Not just rate them, but actually give whole reviews. Really good in-depth reviews. It was run by someone named Courtney Donovan Smith. Sounds like a girl's name, but I think Courtney's actually a guy. Anyway, after bugging him a bit, Courtney finally reviewed the World of Khoras back in 2000 and ended up giving it the highest ranking that the RPG League had ever given out. A fact of which I am immensely proud.

Courtney also had his own RPG world called Tetraq. The world and the League were both at www.tetraq.com. A couple of years ago that site went down. Just vanished without any warning.

Well a few people have asked me whatever happened to that site. And if you do a google search for "RPG League" you'll find that there are still many, MANY sites linking to www.tetraq.com - which is now a dead link. I recently asked a friend of mine (who is particularly good at finding stuff on the net) to track the RPG League down. He found Courtney. In Taiwan. I contacted Courtney and asked him about the League and what had happened to it.

It turns out that Courtney had asked someone to renew the domain name, but that person forgot. And then some unscrupulous company snatched up the name. I guess the server drives were wiped because all that data, in particular the reviews, were lost. A most unfortunate occurrance. It's too bad because the RPG League was a great web site and had the best rating system of any "world rating" site I've seen. And as far as I know, the RPG League was the only world rating web site that actually gave in depth, well thought out reviews. No other site I've seen gives reviews at all.

So, anyway, Courtney gave up on the league. And I don't blame him. It would have taken a LOT of work to rebuild the League to its former glory. Lots of work, reviews, links and connections were lost. The internet is a fluid, every changing thing. Sometimes great stuff is lost.

Courtney told me that he still has his own world, Tetraq, has been working on it and plans to put it back online some day. When that happens, I'll link to it.

If any of you know of a good web site that rates or reviews online worlds and gaming web sites, let me know. I would love to have Khoras reviewed by another such site.

Courtney's original review of Khoras (along with another review from a different reviewer) are both on the Khoras web site under the "Awards and Links" section. I'm glad I kept a copy of it. :)

sid6.7

thats one thing people totally forget to do....BACKUP...

around 1994 when i got my first computer i total
screwed it over numerous times...so i learned to back up....

then about 1.5 years ago...forgot to do it 1 time for awhile.....BOOM
computer goes down...lost alot of good stuf...and about 1/2 my geneaology stuff...

BACKUP PEOPLE!!!! at least every 3 or 4th month....thats about 5$ for CDs per year

its so much easier to lose 10-20% of your work...then 100%....

BACKUP!
did i mention BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peace....