Author Topic: Death Wish Ring?  (Read 4047 times)

Golanthius

Death Wish Ring?
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:47:41 PM »
In the Throne Room of the buried ruins (prelude of the Avisarr Campaign) The skeleton that is on the throne has a "Death Wish Ring" on his finger. What does this ring do? What are the properties? I can't find any reference to this ring anywhere.

avisarr

Re: Death Wish Ring?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 11:29:17 PM »
I thought the Death Wish Ring was on the site somewhere. Well, I won't bother looking up notes or web pages. I remember what that ring does.

If memory serves, the Death Wish Ring is a large onyx and diamond ring. It has a single large diamond in the center surrounded by 12 smaller diamonds in a circle. Each of the smaller diamonds is a limited wish spell. Each time one of these 12 lesser wishes is used, the associated diamond vanishes. So each is a one-shot. When I played the campaign, the players took the ring off of the bony skeletal hand and found that there were 7 lesser wishes left. In general, those lesser wishes should be useful, but not too powerful. They should never be able to accomplish more than a typical 7th level wizard spell.

The large central diamond is something special. It grants an unlimited wish. Not just a wish spell, but a truly powerful unlimited wish spell. Sort of like a 10th level spell. With this unlimited wish, the ring bearer can produce almost any affect they want (within reason, don't let it be used to unbalance your campaign). However, the catch is that the unlimited wish can only be used by a dying man. In other words, the wish must be uttered as the last breath of life leaves the ring bearer. The wish only comes true if the ring bearer actually dies. And if the ring bearer who uttered the wish is ever brought back to life, the effects of the unlimited wish are negated. The unlimited wish function can be used more than once, but of course someone must die each time. It is a powerful ability, but the cost is great.

In the original Avisarr campaign, the skeletal figure upon the throne had used the unlimited wish with his dying breath to set up something in the plot. (something that pertained only to that particular campaign). Use it however you want.  In actuality, the players made good use of the 7 limited wishes, but I don't think the unlimited wish was ever used. No one was willing to sacrifice their character.

Offline Lance

• MSN Messenger - thetruedrowarrior@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Drizty425
    • View Profile
    • Perecho Height's Website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 12:38:28 AM »
Couple of questions:

Would you allow an a Semi-Important NPC to use the ring in this way?

How many of these rings were made approximately?

What does the M stand for in your name?

Golanthius

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 10:48:03 AM »
That ring can be really useful...The wish of the dying man on the throne is an interesting idea for the campaign. I'll have to ponder that one...

avisarr

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 04:57:57 PM »
Yes, I love the idea of a single wish uttered by a dying man... it's so important that it's his last thought and the ring makes it come true. It's a great way to plant a seed of plot that comes up later.

I would allow anyone to use the ring - player character or non-player character. However, I wouldn't let the players abuse it. I would never let them say "my henchman is going to wish for so-and-so" and expect it to get it and then just go hire another henchman for another wish. It wouldn't work like that. I think if a player ever tried to use an NPC like that, I'd probably take control over of that NPC. (usually, with henchmen and such, I just let the player run the npc). But yeah, I suppose it could be used by an NPC. Depends on the situation.

In my campaign, there was only one Death Wish ring made. However, you could certainly say that a set of them were made if you needed more of them for your particular campaign.

The M in my name stands for Michael.

Offline tanis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 02:40:54 AM »
I love how you just slipped that last one in. ;D
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Drul Morbok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 01:36:58 PM »
I just wanted to throw in how much I love that ring :D
Not as an item for the players to use, but to set up situations - from funny to macabre to whole campaign settings.
I just imagined that an adventurer lethally injured by a trap whished to die in his bed rather than on this cold stone floor - so deep within some dungeon, where te PCs got only after lots of climbing, crawling, shrinking, swimming, diving and flying, they find a dead body in a bed that wold not even fit through the entrance to that room...and I can't stop sniggering.

I assume that one's last wish is very personal and intuitive, and not rational at all...I'd say, not even a player might fully dictate his character's last wish.
I mean..in the Avisarr campaign, a character might wear the ring, and say "if I ever die, my last wish will be that Draxorith will be banished", making the campaign kind of unloseable (if this word exists).
Not that I'm experienced, but I don't think this is how dying works ;-)

Offline David Roomes

• Khoras Creator
  • Forum Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • MSN Messenger - David.Roomes@paccar.com
    • View Profile
    • The World of Khoras
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 10:12:45 PM »
I love this ring too. :)  Love your hypothetical idea... a bed in the middle of a dungeon. That's a great setup.
David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

Offline Drul Morbok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 03:02:49 AM »
And if the ring bearer who uttered the wish is ever brought back to life, the effects of the unlimited wish are negated.

I just came up withe the reverse also being true - if the wish is ever effectively undone, the person who uttered the wish will be brought back to live  ;D

I guess this would make for a poor players item, but I can imagine some rather fascinating implications:
Some time ago, some minor demon lord was barely defeated among great losses, and with his last breath he tainted the holy spring in the Unicorn Grove. The druids there might have the power to restore the spring - but not the power to face the return of the demon lord, so they have to stand by as the corruption grows ever further.
Or the other way round: some archangel-like figure sacrificed his life to protect the mortal realm from the onslaught of a demon army, also killing the demon lord in some epic draw. With his last breath, he wished for a barriere that would keep demons out of the realm. While this would not technically keep them from entering the realm, they prefer not to,  since this battle also leaved them greatly weakened, so they rather try to corrupt mortals without entering the realm than revive their ancient foe.

OK, those settings would not require a ring, but maybe rather make the Last Wish an aspect of epic figures...granted to them by a universe with a wicked sense of equilibrium.

Man, thats why I LOVE this site - I end up with more inspiration than I hope for when I come looking for some  ;)

Offline David Roomes

• Khoras Creator
  • Forum Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • MSN Messenger - David.Roomes@paccar.com
    • View Profile
    • The World of Khoras
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »
Now that's interesting... the reverse being true. If the wish is ever undone, the wishmaker comes back...

I could see a person being SENT back by some cosmic force (or the magic of the ring) to restore order or balance and put the wish BACK into place... effectively dooming that person to death again. Oh my, so many possible story ideas...

And yes, inspiration begets inspiration!

David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

Offline Drul Morbok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 09:54:54 AM »
Yeah, if the wish is undone, the wishmaker comes back - and has to stay until the wish is back in place...maybe with a geas upon him to work towards this goal.
This would be a terrible fate...a bit like the idea of ghosts bound to the mortal realm due to some unfinished business.

There might be rules shat no single wish shall ever be granted again to someone else, nor shall to wishes contradict or cancel out each other...this would work best in a setting where divine beings or cosmic entities interact rather directly with mortals.
Since long I have the idea that villages in my game world would feature a kind of blackboard where anyone can go and write a wish - which wold come true, but "at a price which all can pay, and which none should pay"... I never came up with what that cryptic warning could mean, but now I want to try what I can do in this direction.

I also start imagining a world where this is the story behind undeads. Rather than created by and infused with foul sorcery, they'd be tragic figures associated with pity and sorrow rather than horror.
Each one would have a story to tell...and maybe a potential adventure/campaign hook.

Or maybe, eons ago, there was a depraved figure who did not fear the effect of an undone wish, but used it as a means of gaining "live" after death, becoming the first lich and necromancer and still being the driving force behind all necromancy.