Love what you've done with the place. :)

Started by Lance, January 29, 2006, 07:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance

Wow... That's pretty much all I can say now that I come back and look around the site Mr. David Roomes.  :)I stumbled upon the site about four years ago while working in the library for an easy A back in High School. I quickly fell in love with the site and printed off almost every nation that was available at the time. (Cyrell was the only one that I missed I believe, so it's the only one I have in color. I printed it off as soon as I got home. This was all unbeknownst to the librarian of course) I still have all of those printouts somewhere in 3 1/2 binder. I'll have pull them out sometime. Anyways, other than playing baseball and basketball, my time was spent reading over those printout's and looking around the site. I quickly memorized most of the information that was on the printouts and thirsted for more. This eventually drove me to start working on my own planet which is of very little importance, since almost all of my information was deleted when my computer of the time, a Gateway....enough said, went cablameramers. After this I stayed gone for quite a while, until I returned one day to find out you were working on the two new continents. I very nearly sent you the money to access them, but in the end I guess I just didn't think it was worth the trouble. (I'm cheap. ;D)

So for a second time I stayed gone for a far to long a time, until I decided one day to pop my head back in and see if there had been any updates on the free part of the site. I was surprised to find a blank white screen with a countdown timer when all of Khoras would go public once more! From here I can't really remember what happened, but to be honest I don't believe any of it's that important and we all just wasted a small part our lives reading (for me writing) all of this.

Oh well, what is important is that I'm back and that Khoras is looking better than it ever has. And now for the reason why I posted this particular post in the Role Playing Discussion's thread. I myself only have very limited experience in table top gaming. I'm afraid to say that it is not a very popular thing in North Louisiana to play these kinds of games. To be quite honest I'd be labeled a devil worshiping freak, and then would spend most of my time dodging the Triple K's gang and their upside down cross.  :-[ Enough of that, what I'm trying to get at is that I had to find other venues to express myself in an RPG like manner. I found that in text based forum RPG's. I know I know, from what I've shown you here my grammar is piss poor and tend to ramble at times, but writing is something I enjoy doing. This particular way also allows for a person's character to react to another person's character in real time.

Ok I'd started to ramble again... So anyways, what I'm leading up to is... Would I be allowed to work on a forum RPG based around a certain area in Khoras, and if so, then is there anywhere in particular that any of you would like me to base the story around? That being cities, nations, etc. I had been thinking of using Garrison in the beginning, but that's only because there is always a chance of plenty confrontation for a character to get into there. That can be said for a lot of places around Khoras though. If there are any questions feel free to ask.  :) *Puts on innocent answer question face*

avisarr

Zarcov,

Well, first of all, Welcome Back! Glad to have you. You're right... Khoras has gone through a lot of phases and growing pains. :)  It gets better every year.

Now, for your question. Yes, you are allowed to start a forum RPG based on Khoras or a specific area of Khoras. I give you my permission. Before you begin, however, I should point out that one such forum based online game is already running. It's called Dathkandra. You can find a link to it on the Links page. I believe the link is http://www.exodus-chat.org/Dathkandra/. You might want to check out Dathkandra first and see if it interests you (if you're just interested in online playing). However, if you want to do your own online forum RPG, you are more than welcome.

Best of luck and keep us updated. :)

David

Kristian

Yeah, me too perhaps.

I checked out Dathkandra when I first saw the link on the site here. But I couldn't quite figure out what to do to get started or anything there. So I sent them an email, asking what I should do to get started playing on their forums, and they never replied. So I just forgot about it.
- Kristian

Lance

Much obliged Senor Roomes. Now after spending part of today reviewing Dathkandra, (It's been one of my rare days off! YAY!) I noticed that I believe it used a chat room type based system. I wasn't for sure since I never actually got into the game because I didn't want to spend part of my day creating a character. If this is wrong then by all means tell me, but if it's right, then that isn't exactly what I was planning on doing. What I was planning would be on a forum like this one (I do love Simple Machine Forums, good choice by the way.)
Actions by player characters would be posted in multi-paragraph form, and everyone would post many times with their characters. Right up until the particular adventure they are having is finished. When it is finished a "judge" of sorts comes behind and judges what exactly they get from there adventure. The bulk of the rewards will be dependent on the person's roleplaying/writing. Correct grammar is a must, as well as well thought out adventures. Major adventures that would change the landscape of the area that it is based around would be ran by GM's but would still be in the same form.

There of course will be a stats system, but it would also be no where near as complex as a normal D&D (such as Dathkandra's) system (or at least that's what I'm hoping... ;))

There is a very big likely hood that this could change some what. Especially since I havn't actually started working on it. This is just what I have planned for the moment. I'm currently working on reviving the first RPG that I joined, (don't ask me what it's all about... it really would make me look like a yougin in everyone's eyes) but the tentative opening date for it is Feb. 13. So I'll be working on this as much as possible til then. Some time after then I'll be able to focus more on this and hopefully have something up as soon as possible.

avisarr

By the way, I have been in contact with Sarah Gore, the person in charge of the Dathkandra chat. She was concerned that you guys had trouble with their site. She and her team are working on setting it up so its much easier to join and start a character.

In the mean time she invites any of you to email her if you are interested in joining and she will make sure that you have no problems getting started.

You can email her at sarahgore@peoplepc.com.

If you have any questions about Dathkandra or how to join, email her and she'll help you out. I'll make sure that they get their page fixed up so that joining it is EASY. As it should be.

If anyone has any questions, fire away. And Zarcov, if you would like to create a forum based chat game around Khoras, best of luck and let me know if I can help.

Lance

Oh well thanks David, and sorry it took me so long to respond. I promise I haven't forgotten about you guys. I've just been busy trying to get the other rpg I'm working on off the ground. Some people can be so stubborn... So they've decided to rework the joining system at Dathkandra? I will definitely re-review it again, and see how it turns out.  :)

Now in the meantime, I've been considering staging area's for my project. The leading place at the moment is somewhere in north Ormek. Possibly somewhere up above Raven Hill on the White Stone River, or a more probable location would be somewhere in the northwestern part of the nation, alongside the Stout River. The reason I'm considering Ormek as a prime area for the RPG, is the amount lawlessness that is rampant in the nation. Also would it be possible to add a city of some moderate size to the map of where ever I decide on? *Shrugs* Once again, ideas and comments are always welcome.  I could still go anywhere with with this thing, from an island in the middle of an uncharted ocean all the way down to the middle of one of those overpopulated cities out there. It just depends on where I believe I will get the best quality stories really.

I will continue to update when I get the time. I'm hoping once the opening day of the site happens, I'll be able to hand some of the major mod functions down the other members. Til then though, all I can do is what I can do.  ;D

Thanks and everyone have a great day!

Kristian

You have a great day too, Zarcov!  ;D

And I'm looking forward to seeing this get off the ground.
- Kristian

avisarr

Zarcov,

yes, if you'd like to add a small city to Ormek for your game, go right ahead. Later on, when it takes off, I might just have to add it to the Khoras web site and make it official. :)  Let me know if there's anything we can do to help.

David

Lance

Hello again everyone, so I've came up with an idea for the location of the proposed city. I used the nifty little paint program to place a dot here --->http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/exploding_chickens/OrmekDetailMapPoss.jpg 

I had a few different reason's for choosing this location, the first of which is that it is in a prime position on the Stout River to play some kind of a role in trading between Drachen's Bluff/Green Hills and Galen Shore. I know it wouldn't play to big of role considering the overall size of the two other cities, but some trade would have to flow between the cities because of the value of the sheep and horses in the two areas.

I also like the fact that the peninsula that the city will be positioned on is also part of the Mercian forest, or at least it looks like the green extends that far to me. This will allow for some local logging to be conducted, and will also allow for an ample amount of wild life around the city. The forests will also allow Orcs and Ogres a place to launch raids upon the city.  :-\ This may sound bad in theory, but for story usage this is plus, at least in my opinion.  ;)

The other major reason at the moment would be the distance away from Stovikar. At that distance away it might as well be an independent city. The less the "government" of Ormek puts its nose into the city the better.

So yeah, if there is anything anyone else would like to add to this feel free to, even if it's criticism. It is nigh impossible to make me angry. So feel free to say just about anything.  :P

Kristian

Sounds like an ideal place to kick off an adventure to me. Nice work.
- Kristian

avisarr

Yes, that looks like a good place for a town. It's practically on the border between Mercia and Ormek. So, it could be influenced by both, but it's far enough from the capitals that it could be very independent. Also, it could be the focal point for all kinds of border disputes and such. Lots of adventure possibilities there.

Lance

Well, I've put some minor thought into and wrote out a chart kind of thing. I based it off of Dathkandra page since that is the city that has a page devoted to it, that isn't a capital or independent city. :P This is what I have so far. I haven't decided on the name yet, though, so that is why I have so many at the moment. I'm leaning toward Perecho at the moment, but that could change at any time. The population is also iffy, since some of it kind of depends on the history of the town.

Name: Depoltas, Shytanran, Bantan, Raytia  Perecho, Belol???
Population: 2300-4500 (I haven't rightly decided as of yet.)
Demographics: Human 70%, Elven 9%, Dwarven 6%, Grum 5%, Orc 3%, Other 3%,
Ogre 2%, Saurian 2%
Languages: Rukemian 95%, Southern 5%
Nationality: Ormek
National Colors: Red and Black
Year Founded: 1572
Currency: Rukemian
National Resources and
Manufactured Goods: Lumber..., ???
Wealth: Average
Government Type: ??? Undecided (This I'm a tad bit confused on. Should it be the government of the town, or the government of the nation they are a part of. Town I'm sure, but you never know...)
Government Stability: Very Stable
Allies: Mercia, Rukemia, War Vale
Enemies: The Coalition
Walled: Yes
Crime Level: Below Average
Technology Level: Middle Ages
Primary Religion: ???
Other Religion: Erylon, Imarus, Carrikos, Mareth, Sorrath, Barrinor, Assytia
Climate: Subtropical
Terrain: Forested

More will definitely come later. I might even sit down and work on some of the history tonight. Comment and as usual, any criticism is welcome.

Edit: I didn't know that three ?'s in a row was the ??? smiley....  :-[

Kristian

It all looks very good. Of the names you suggested I like Depoltas or Bantan the best. Belol made me think of some sort of internet slang, like if someone did something funny to you, you could say: "He beloled me" ... Anyway! Looking good, Zarcov.
- Kristian

Lance

An update should be up sometime soon. I've just been busy lately, that and my laptop quit picking up a wireless connection in my room recently... Tis weird. Anyways, I've decided on the name Perecho Heights. Now all I have to do is come up with a story as to why it is called this.

Spence

On the note of the Dathkandra site.

Unfortunately the programmers of exodus are busy people and we have quite a few broken links, and no access to fix them.  This also includes alot of the Contacts emails where you type in your email to whomever and try to send.  I think mine is the only one that works. 

Anyways, if you have issues with creating a character on Dathkandra, you can email me J_SpencerST@yahoo.com or you can get ahold of Phaeton as he's another DM on Dathkandra.  And i or he can attempt to walk you through the process.  Also we have a brand new FAQ for going through and creating a character.  We've also been promised a new character creation generator by the owner of exodus, Joshua is also a busy man though so it may take awhile for us to get it.  The guide to creating a character on the Dathkandra chat can be found here:  http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~phaeton/khoras/dathkandra/chargen-guide.html

We've gone through an overhaul of DM's in the last 2 years, but now we've finally got a great DM team that knows what it's doing.  If you dont see any DM's online, dont be too worried...after all..we have lives too, but we will be around.

Not trying to steal the thunder of the thread maker either, i just wanted to address the issues with not being able to make PC's on Dathkandra.

Spence