England Trip

Started by David Roomes, March 06, 2014, 08:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Roomes

The company where I work is sending me to Europe at the end of March for a brief visit. I'll be in the Netherlands for a few days and then England. Unfortunately, I won't have any free time in the Netherlands, but after the business portion of the trip is concluded, I'm taking a few extra days to do some sightseeing around England. I feel really fortunate to have this opportunity. It'll be just me, a rental car and a camera. I'll have about 4 days of free time.

My goal is to visit a few castles and ruins and medieval villages and get as many photos as possible. I'm hoping I can get some great shots for the Khoras site. In particular, medieval cities, towns and villages.I always struggle with that. It's easy to get photos of castles with a quick internet search or at a stock photography site, but I have more difficulty finding good photos of the interior of medieval towns and cobblestone streets and so forth. Here in America, we have nothing medieval (obviously). Very frustrating... I envy those of you living in Europe. I haven't been to England since 1983, so this is a rare opportunity for me. I hope to take full advantage of it.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with central England, but if anyone has any suggestions on things to photograph, let me know. Are there any really good medieval towns in England that are particularly photogenic? And/or historically preserved? If anyone knows of anything, please let me know.

I'll share the photos when I get back.
David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

sid6.7

these are suppose to have a medieval town flavor:

Norwich, King's Lynn, Great Yarmouth, Ipswich, Colchester, Maldon, York...

here you can find a list of castles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_castles_in_England

i couldn't find a list of ruins

have a safe and FUN trip....

David Roomes

Good suggestions. I will definitely do some deep research into those locations before I go. Thanks!
David M. Roomes

Delbareth

Good news!
It won't be as beautiful as your trip in France, but I'm sure you'll find nicer people :D

Have a nice trip!
Delbareth
Les MJ ne sont ni sadiques ni cruels, ce sont juste des artistes incompris.

David Roomes

I think most of the people in France were nice. Except for one waiter in Nice... he was a total ass.  :D  But other than him, every French person I met was very pleasant.

Although I did notice one thing... before my France trip I kept reading online that the French people like it when you at least TRY to speak their language. And I speak a tiny bit of French. Not much. I can't carry on a conversation, but I know many words and phrases. I was ready to do my part and at least make the effort.

But I never got the chance. Time and time again, the same thing would happen. I would say "Bonjour!", but then the other person would switch to English! Everyone - waiter, hostess, cashier, ticket agent, bed and breakfast owner, EVERYONE! I think my pronunciation was pretty good, but I must have a slight American accent that tipped them off. In any case, everyone would immediately switch to English. I rarely got the chance to use my French.

So, anyway... the travel guides say "the French people appreciate it when you try to use their language". But that was not my experience. :)
David M. Roomes

Delbareth

You know... how to say... American and English people don't have a very good reputation, specially concerning their tongue.
It is said they are confident in their tongue superiority in the world, and barely know that other languages exists.
It's certainly partially false, knowing the importance of spanish in the US, and the former importance of French also. But you know... the reputation...

So, if an american come and show, even by a single word, that he respects and consider the other, well it's a very positive attitude. I think it's not a matter of number of words you can say in French, but just showing you know that French exists.

I also think I would react exactly like them.
Delbareth
Les MJ ne sont ni sadiques ni cruels, ce sont juste des artistes incompris.

sid6.7

i've only experience with canadien french and thier a bit stuffy to me anyways...

David Roomes

I'm just posting something here to help keep the forum active.  :)

Work on the religion section of Khoras continues in earnest. However, this upcoming trip to Europe is going to take a big chunk of time. I don't know what kind of web access I'll have on the road. I'll try to check in here on the forum, but I might be offline for two weeks. When I come back, I will have many pictures to share with you.

In any case, although work on the religion section is going to be delayed, I promise you that it is at the TOP of my list.

David M. Roomes