Author Topic: The Medieval Hunt  (Read 1546 times)

Offline tanis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Medieval Hunt
« on: November 18, 2016, 02:21:55 PM »
I just came across an interesting scholarly article on the institution of the medieval Hunt as it relates to understanding European martial arts, and I thought I would link it here, because it made me think about the Normidian Hunt, especially of the Torgat, and I thought it might inspire some ideas about how to flesh that out more fully in the future.

I should note that the article is not focused nearly so much on the actual coordination or logistics of the activity as it is on arguing for hunting dangerous game as a high-level training method for understanding historically-accurate swordsmanship, but I still thought it was interesting, and it has quite a few really interesting quotes from sources like Xenophon, John I of Portugal, and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Here's the link: http://actaperiodica.org/documents/APD2014/APD2_R_Swinney_S_Crawfort_DOI20150017.pdf
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline David Roomes

• Khoras Creator
  • Forum Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • MSN Messenger - David.Roomes@paccar.com
    • View Profile
    • The World of Khoras
    • Email
Re: The Medieval Hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 10:42:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing! Great article. Definitely gave me some good ideas...
David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

Offline tanis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Medieval Hunt
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 10:11:31 AM »
I had hoped! :D
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.