Main Menu

new maps

Started by sid6.7, January 31, 2016, 02:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid6.7

like the addition of the new map they are well done...

David Roomes

I agree, the maps are very well done. Ludovic did those maps. He's a frequent voice here on the forums (under the name Delbareth). I thank him for the great maps.

Speaking of maps, I have a question, for any gamer who would care to chime in.

What do you think would be more valuable/useful between the following two options:

• A new Khoras "world map" which allows you to "zoom in" and shows vastly more detailed information - including roads, hunting trails, villages, shipwrecks, points of interest and so on. Basically, one massive world map, but you can zoom several levels in to see details at a regional or local level.

• Individual city maps. A map for each of the major cities. Such city maps would show major and minor roads in the city, city districts, various buildings, guild houses, taverns, inns, plazas, gardens, statues, docks, etc.
Would either of those help a game master or would they hinder creativity? And if I were to do one of those, which would be more useful?

The reason I'm asking is that when I eventually do get done with the religions, I was looking to take on another big project. And frankly, maps are much more interesting to me than religions, so the work would likely go much faster. Or, instead of maps, is there something else that could be added or improved that would make Khoras better or more useful?

Ideas and comments are welcome.
David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

sid6.7

I don't want you to get overwhelmed but I like the idea of the interactive map of khoras...

anything you add to khoras would be a plus for a gamemaster or gameplayer and would only increase the creativity...

tanis

I agree, both additions to the maps would be great, and as a bit of a map-geek, I'd appreciate them.

I don't really think that the maps will limit creativity, because if someone wants to make things up as they go along, they're always able to do so, but having a detailed base makes creating within the lines (so to speak) much easier.

Then again, I'm perfectly happy to see any big additions to Khoras, so anything anyone else comes up with I'd be interested in, most likely.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

David Roomes

I was reading a web comic yesterday and read something that struck a chord. To paraphrase it, it said something like "whatever you do, make sure you're enjoying it, because otherwise you'll lose interest".

So, that got me thinking. My work on the religion project has pretty much ground to a halt. I've just lost all enthusiasm for it. The gods did get a pretty good boost. There are some new gods and a lot of them have much more detail... but I've just lost all enthusiasm on this project. I'm just not having FUN with the gods... (maybe that's why I never run clerics... :)).

So, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to tie off some loose threads with regards to the gods. Just wrap the project up quick. And then that's it. I'm done with the religion project.. for now.

The reason I'm wrapping it up is because I want to tackle something that I AM interested in. Something that I've got a lot of enthusiasm for. So, I think it's finally time to get around to a project that we've talked about. I'm going to update the Khoras map. The world map. I think I'm going to do option 1 above. A more detailed map. I think it should be possible to zoom in at least one or two notches. I also want to add stuff that isn't on the current map. Chief among these would be ROADS. Major roads, minor roads and well known trails. Other bits might include ship wrecks, sailing routes, points of interest and so forth.

Also, I'd like a map where you can turn on and off layers - villages, roads, routes, etc. So that you can see exactly what you want to see... I'm not sure how to pull that off, but I'll do a little research and see what I'm able to do.

Anyway... the current map is good... but I think it can be better.

Comments, thoughts, complaints, rants - all are welcome...

David M. Roomes

sid6.7

good....just don't get burn out we don't need you to get burnout! I know I've been there...

David Roomes

I promise to not get burnt out. It's a big project, no doubt. But I'm going to take a crack at it. I will continue to do little bits of work in other parts of the site, just to keep things fresh. I expect the map will take a while, especially the initial research in the best way to tackle the interactive aspects.More on that later...
David M. Roomes