Alchemical Gastronomy and You

Started by tanis, August 08, 2019, 02:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanis

I was watching this episode of Web DM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXNOvuBLTO8, and felt really inspired, and it made me curious to hear your thoughts on the matter, guys.

Have any of you ever thought about eating monsters? What would it mean to eat the heart of a Krallinar? Is there a Teddy Roosevelt or Ernest Hemingway of Normidia? What DOES Emerald Prattle Fish sashimi taste like? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?

The world may never know.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Slydog75

have you read the Demon Cycle Trilogy by Peter V. Brett?  They explore this a bit.

tanis

No I have not. I have a pretty full plate when it comes to reading, but I may have to check those out. Thanks for the recommendation.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

David Roomes

I imagine many monsters don't taste very good.

However, in my opinion, many of them are valuable from an alchemical point of view. In other words, lots of magic potions require specific parts of monsters in the ingredients list. At least, that's the way it is when I DM. That makes slaying certain monsters somewhat profitable if you know what parts are valuable and can get the right parts to an alchemist/wizard while they are fresh...

Also, there's a lot of precedent for animal parts being used in alchemy. Eye of newt, wing of bat, etc....
David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

Drul Morbok

Well, in any case I think that trollmeat, regenarating on the plate, would eliminate world hunger;-)

But as most "monsters" would be carnivores/predators, I'd also assume they are not too tasty for the human palate, especially if the are large and/or hunters.

But I could imagine that some parts, like tongues, could be considered "haute cuisine", if more for status than for actual taste ("because we can").

tanis

I can imagine a culture, let's say Myrians or Borrellians, eating the hearts of things they hunt. Maybe a polar worm or... I can't think off the top of my head what might be a good candidate for Myria. ^^;

I do think their point about it being an interesting way to flesh out the culture of a setting is apt, though; these people are surrounded, sometimes even besieged, but fantastical things every moment of every day of their lives. There's real-world precedent for this sort of behavior, and I think that some things, like torgat hunts for instance, are already present in Khoras, so it seems like it's an interesting thing to think about, even if the specific ideas they provided aren't to taste. Why wouldn't people try eating at least some monsters. People eat all sorts of weird things, ya know?

But yeah, mostly I just enjoyed the exercise in thinking about ways that culinary culture and alchemy might intersect, and more broadly, the implications that a campaign setting's monsters and fantastical creatures might have for what people eat, and how they relate to the world. And further, how thinking about that might lead to better gaming and better world-building.

Drul Morbok

OK, yes, I now also imagine a broad range of not-yet-alchemie, where eating the heart of a frost worm will grant you the stamina of the beast, or a Krallinar penis is considered an aphrodisiac...both of which might be true or superstition, but definitely adds depth and verisimilitude.
Actually I even like it more when even if magic exists and alchemy can achieve a lot more than modern world biochemistry, most of what claims to be magic/alchemy ist just superstition and/or outright fraud.

tanis

Absolutely.

By the by, Dave, I'm still wondering what the canon answers to my original slate of questions are.  :P

David Roomes

Have any of you ever thought about eating monsters?
Yes.

What would it mean to eat the heart of a Krallinar?
If you killed the krallinar yourself, then you are a serious badass. Eating the heart would definitely be the most awesome way to celebrate the victory after a long and bloody battle with this beast. Okay, I think the bathyns need a new ceremony involving eating the heart of the krallinar.

Is there a Teddy Roosevelt or Ernest Hemingway of Normidia?
Not yet, but I feel like a new character should be added to Normidia.

What DOES Emerald Prattle Fish sashimi taste like?
The brilliantly colored orange flesh of this fish has a moist, buttery smooth texture and a flavor that is rich, but slightly sweet. The poison tainted meat causes a numbness. It starts with a tingling of the lips and tongue and spreads slowly. It's a pleasant sensation. By the end of the meal, the eater is tingling all over, partially numbed and in a state of bliss and euphoria. It is not for the faint of heart and not for the poor either, since it's a rare and expensive delicacy.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?
Three. According to the owl in the old TV commercial. And I trust the owl.
David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

tanis

FINALLY ALL MY QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED! HUZZAH!

Btw, don't forget the turtle, either. I'm pretty sure it had the same answer as the owl.  8)