the virus

Started by sid6.7, April 14, 2020, 05:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid6.7

how is everyone doing with the virus lockdown and stuff?

pretty good here in west wa but then i have been prepping a long time(20 years) for a bad event...

if you have any questions about prepping feel free to ask me if i don't know something i can find someone who does...

sid6.7

tanis

Wondered when this would get asked, lol.

We're fine at my house, just being careful because my family are elderly. Luckily, they're on a fixed income, so the so-called economy finally collapsing under the weight of its own contradictions isn't hurting us any worse than it was previously. If we end up in a food desert, I'll probably shoot one of the deer in my yard, but so far, living next to a grocery store is proving convenient.

Luckily, the tornado that swept through around 11:00pm Easter Sunday didn't hit near us, either, so that's nice.

Hope y'all in Washington are doing all right, I know Seattle especially was hit hard early on.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

David Roomes

Tornado? Where are you located?

Seattle got hit early, but the governor shut things down and, as far as I know, this state has gotten ahead of it.

My company shut down temporarily, but unfortunately the team I work on is responsible for a lot of big meetings. All of those meetings have gone online now to become virtual meetings. The bottom line is my work load has tripled. That's why I haven't gotten much of anything done on the site lately. Things were busy before the pandemic hit, now it's just nuts. I'm hoping things settle down soon and I can get back to a normal schedule. I have a feeling there won't be any Khoras work done til closer to June. Still, I shouldn't complain. A lot of people are having a much harder time than me. I feel bad for all of the people that are out of work right now.

Sid - I'm curious to hear about your preparations. I'm doing a little prepping myself. Mainly for the big earthquake which is expected here in Washington. My eventual goal is to have enough food and water to get by for a couple of months assuming everything shut down (running water, electricity, stores, roads, everything). Hopefully the earthquake won't hit for another 100 years, but best to be prepared.

Anyway, take care and stay healthy.

David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

tanis

Chattanooga, TN. We had an EF-3 come through. A large swath of the Southeast got hit by a big storm system on/around Easter and there were multiple tornadoes across several states as a result. Nashville got hit on Super Tuesday, as well. Just one more gift from climate change; we've had more tornadoes in the past decade or two than in the preceding fifty years.

I'm an Eagle Scout, so I'm pretty knowledgeable about preparation, we just don't have the resources to do anything but survive, so we're just trying to be as frugal and efficient as possible.

It's too bad about Khoras stuff, though. Good luck with all your Zoom meetings, Dave.  ;D
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

David Roomes

Yeah, I heard about those tornadoes. Glad you're ok.
David M. Roomes

sid6.7

Quote from: David Roomes on April 15, 2020, 08:27:41 PM
Tornado? Where are you located?

Seattle got hit early, but the governor shut things down and, as far as I know, this state has gotten ahead of it.

My company shut down temporarily, but unfortunately the team I work on is responsible for a lot of big meetings. All of those meetings have gone online now to become virtual meetings. The bottom line is my work load has tripled. That's why I haven't gotten much of anything done on the site lately. Things were busy before the pandemic hit, now it's just nuts. I'm hoping things settle down soon and I can get back to a normal schedule. I have a feeling there won't be any Khoras work done til closer to June. Still, I shouldn't complain. A lot of people are having a much harder time than me. I feel bad for all of the people that are out of work right now.

Sid - I'm curious to hear about your preparations. I'm doing a little prepping myself. Mainly for the big earthquake which is expected here in Washington. My eventual goal is to have enough food and water to get by for a couple of months assuming everything shut down (running water, electricity, stores, roads, everything). Hopefully the earthquake won't hit for another 100 years, but best to be prepared.

Anyway, take care and stay healthy.

i have been prepping about 20$ at a time for years and now and then an influx of cash will have me spending 100$ or more towards preps. over 20 years now i have accumulated about 7 months of food and water and med and other supplies for 2 for any bad event...this virus thingy did still catch me a little by surprise as i had few masks or gloves ready for it and of course the TP thing got me too.

things to generally consider when prepping:

immediately:
1. food
2. water
3. medicines including Over the counter meds

long term:
1. shelter
2. light/heating/cooking source
3. clothes
4. tools
5. bugout bag
6. security

super long term:
1. bugout location
2. water production/food production
3. livestock

feel free to ask me more....

David Roomes

Good for you. Sounds like you are really well prepared. Yeah, the run on toilet paper here in the States was just weird. What the hell? I'm not as far along as you, but I'll get there. When I retire I plan on moving outside the city a little ways, getting a few acres and being a bit more self sufficient. But not so far out that I can't get internet. Hopefully, in about 15 years, high speed internet access will be available everywhere, even way out in the country.
David M. Roomes

sid6.7

Quote from: David Roomes on April 17, 2020, 10:02:02 AM
Good for you. Sounds like you are really well prepared. Yeah, the run on toilet paper here in the States was just weird. What the hell? I'm not as far along as you, but I'll get there. When I retire I plan on moving outside the city a little ways, getting a few acres and being a bit more self sufficient. But not so far out that I can't get internet. Hopefully, in about 15 years, high speed internet access will be available everywhere, even way out in the country.

1 day at a time my friend set a goal of 14 days of supplies...then go 30 days...then go 60 days....etc..etc...just 6 can's or boxes or bags of food per store visit can add up fairly quickly and before you know it your at 2 weeks of supplies....

in some bad events the gov't will get to you within a few days in others 2 weeks in the worst case not at all...

remember when seconds count the police/fire/medics are only minutes away....   :)

sid6.7

well its not really the virus this time it may be election hostilities that we have to worry about on tuesday folks....

i suggest getting some TP, canned food, bottled water and any meds you might need...

scrounge up whatever pennies you have saved and go to the store...

no matter who wins there could be trouble...

feel free to ask me questions....