Unfocused Ruminations on Language and Religion

Started by tanis, March 29, 2021, 05:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanis

I don't really have any specific questions or comments that come to mind to accompany this video, but I'm sure if anyone takes the time to watch it, we'll have some interesting things to discuss regarding language, religion, ritual, etc. It's a Q&A that an Old Norse philologist whose YouTube videos I frequently watch had with a Sankrit/Avestan scholar he's friends with, and it covers a wide range of interesting and informative topics that make it worth watching in its own right, but which I also thought might provide a lot of inspiration for worldbuilding and gaming. It's not short, in fact it's almost 1.75 hours, but if anyone gets the time, I really encourage them to watch it; I found it quite enjoyable and stimulating, despite its length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIkHgVSKQ4U
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

David Roomes

I will endeavor to find a 2 hour slot soon when I can sit and watch the whole thing.
David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

sid6.7

i'll try and do this this weekend...thanks!!!

sid6.7

It was a good video although a little hard to hear at times so missed some stuff....

sid6.7

found these two things for language making...

vulgarlang.com <<< very professional costs some money though
polyglot https://draquet.github.io/PolyGlot/readme.html  <<< a little less user friendly...free

This is not spam and I have no financial interests in either...

David Roomes

Interesting. If I was writing a book that involved another language in a significant way, these tools would be invaluable. Very cool. However, in gaming, I have found that I rarely need to go into that kind of detail with other languages. But there seem to be a lot of people that are really into constructing language. And that first one, Vulgar, is absolutely amazing.
David M. Roomes

tanis

I understand that. I just like to collect as much inspirational/educational material as possible; I like honing skills, even if there's not an immediate payoff. I think it makes my baseline higher than if I focus just on what's immediately useful.

Besides, on the sort of timescale that a setting like Khoras has existed on—as opposed to a more standard session-to-session campaign timescale—there's always time to add little details, right?  ;)
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

David Roomes

David M. Roomes