Author Topic: Political Intrigue Campaign Ideas  (Read 75 times)

Offline Slydog75

• View Profile
    • Email
Political Intrigue Campaign Ideas
« on: September 26, 2021, 06:38:12 PM »
So, I'm developing some ideas for a politically centered campaign.  I need (possibly loosely) allied nations that I can slowly turn against each other with a realistic central tension as the cause.   I was thinking maybe Duchies within the Rukemian Empire, possibly warring for independence.  If so, what would be their driving force?  What other governments would be a good match for this?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:14:55 AM by Slydog75 »

Offline David Roomes

• Khoras Creator
  • Forum Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • MSN Messenger - David.Roomes@paccar.com
    • View Profile
    • The World of Khoras
    • Email
Re: Political Intrigue Campaign Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 06:43:58 PM »
I agree. The Rukemian Empire would be a good place to start looking. You've got all the individual duchies that could go to war with each other. Or, if you want to have it play out on a broader canvas, you've got three subordinate nations allied with the Empire - the War Vales, Ormek and Kitar. Strained relations between the Empire and one of those subordinates could be good. There's also the War Vale, which is a group of seven allied duchies. The War Vale duchies could collapse into their own little civil war, if you wanted to keep it on a smaller scale.

Another possibility would be the Drakkellian Alliance. You've got 5 major wealthy cities that are allied. Each has dozens of towns, guilds and villages supporting it. Strained relations between the major cities could be a good hotbed of political tension.

As for motivations, here are some ideas:

1. Slavery is practiced in the Rukemian Empire. Maybe one of the duchies outlaws slavery and is willing to go to war for it.

2. The discovery of something valuable (a huge vein of a valuable mineral perhaps) in a specific region could cause former allies to go to war over the possibility of vast new wealth.

3. The discovery of a long buried historical document that implicates one nation in a horrific historical event (genocide, assassination, etc) committed against an ally which leads to war.

4. A newly discovered map that supposedly leads to a lost treasure belonging to one nation indicates the treasure is buried in the territory of an allied nation. The allied nation denies access to the site.

5. The rise of a new cult or minor religion could sway leaders in a nation to go to war against an ally.

6. Discovery that the king who sits on the throne in an allied nation is an illegitimate bastard or a shapershifter or something else. 
David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

Offline tanis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 01:01:53 PM »
I agree, those are all really interesting choices. One of the great things about having so many cool interrelations between, especially, the Rukemian Empire and all of its client states/protectorates.

Kitar is a great choice for an independence movement, Ormek could be a good choice for a slave revolt or revolutionary war, and the War Vales make for an excellent Italian Wars-style clusterfuck.  ;D

I'd be interested in hearing about what sort of campaign you're thinking about running.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Slydog75

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 05:15:53 PM »
Thanks guys.. I think Kitar is going to be fighting for it's independence... However, there may be other forces hidden in the background pushing them to war.  ;-)