How I Found This Place... and how I use it

Started by tanis, April 11, 2006, 07:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanis

It's kind of funny, but I love Khoras, which I found about two and a half years ago, and I diidn't even know what D&D was beyond some kind of fantasy game, (in fact, I thought maybe it was a really popular old video game). I was looking for interesting things about metal: the hardest is chromium, the densest is Osmium, et cetera, and ran across the description for Megalindir, because in Khoras Adamantium is the hardest metal, he he. A couple months later, I searched the same topic to find out what I had been looking at, and got hooked on the site. A year later, I decided to find out more about D&D, which was becoming unbearably interesting, as it was its 30th birthday, and realized that a game my nephew had sent many years ago, the original Baldur's Gate was a D&D game and got hooked on that too.

Now I watch some friends of mine who play dnd, (got tired of ampersands), but I still don't play the games. Instead I use my imagination to play a never-ending session in Khoras with the same six-player party format from Baldur's Gate.

Post Scriptum: Don't really know why I'm posting this, but I think it's because I've decided that it's fun to post on forums, and this is the only one I've ever posted on.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

avisarr

Hello Tanis,

Thanks for posting. I'm glad you found Khoras and are having fun with it, no matter how you use it.

I played the original Baldur's Gate. That was a very fun game. I never finished it, but I remember having a blast with it.

By the way, I like you're screen name... Tanis from the Dragonlance books. I read the original two trilogies of Dragonlance. Tanis was a great character.

David

Kristian

Quote from: tanis on April 11, 2006, 07:28:58 PMI still don't play the games. Instead I use my imagination to play a never-ending session in Khoras with the same six-player party format from Baldur's Gate.

I don't understand. Sounds interesting, though. Could you explain a bit more?
- Kristian

tanis

I don't usually play in Khoras like normal, instead I prefer the freedom of being almost the PC and DM all at once. I can do this in my head, by seeing a hook that gets my attention and then kind of narrate the way my party handles the situation, basing the way I take the "story" on the hooks information, and my characters personalities.

Post Scriptum: My character's name is Tanis Mondar, as in Tanthalas from Dragonlance, and Gerard uth Mondar, one of the cool good guys in the War of Souls trilogy of Dragonlance. I've only read the first trilogy and last one, but I am looking to buy the second trliogy when I have more time, because my high school has crazy hard classes.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Kristian

I still don't quite understand, I think. What you do is you read something and then play along with the story in your head?
- Kristian

tanis

Yeah, basically, I see something that could have an interesting aspect, like Phendar in Asylum, and my "party" and I go do something based on the things I imagine might happen, so taking this instance, me and my party, six PC's including me, are traveling through Asylum,  and, while in a tavern, my icorrigible grumman friend Taj, a very Tasslehoff kind of person, by the by, just in case you're reading this David, and he just so happens to get to three ;D. Myself and my girlfriend, Lyn Arian, barely, though offhandedly, save him by both of us stopping Phendar's blade at once, and we then proceed to inquire who he is, or, maybe due to my character's subtlety, I figure out who he must be, and then say, ask to help him find what he is looking for, or whatever I decide.

Just in case you are interested, my party consists of me, Tanis Mondar, my girlfriend, Lyn Arian, a morphian warrior, who, to ease dialogue we have nicknamed Max, a Cyrellian noble, Cyran, or Cy, who is the youngest, and so not likely to succeed, a beautiful fairy, Faeris, or Fae for short, who fell in love with Cy, and is also of some noble blood, and Taj, the grumman thief.

avisarr

Sounds like an interesting group of characters. You should post some of their stories in the Tales section. :)

tanis

Aah, they're a little too romantic, and most likely not true to the game.
     In fact, they're pretty much epic heroes (as in the literary term).

Spence

That doesnt matter one bit.  This forum is for the fantasy setting of Khoras.  Besides, if you start writing your idea's down it's very possible you could get enough to fill a book with short stories or one large continueing story.  Give it a shot sometime.  =)

tanis

I'll consider it, but don't be surprised if something extremely me, and not at all David, happens. Remember my character is like Beowulf or Roland, and his sword, a very powerfully enchanted bastard sword, is even named Durandal.

Spence

Hey, David just supplied the setting, you're supplying the story...we all know it's going to be extremely you man.  Give it a shot, it cant hurt anything =)

tanis

Since you like it, I will, but it'll be awhile, because it is very chronological, and I tend to skip around with adventures. My mercenary band is called "Heroes of Ankar".

Spence

I look forward to it, so i'll wait with anticipation until you have it ready to show us.

tanis

Cool. Sorry, I have last word issues. ;)

tanis

Okay, couldn't send a PM with an attachment, so here goes nothing.