Distances and Maps: Great Find!

Started by Eltern, March 30, 2006, 10:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eltern

So, recently I was trying to find a digital solution to measuring distances on the Khoras world map. Lacking any other alternative, I decided to resort to a piece of string. No longer!

ImageJ is a powerful, and free, image manipulation program, which you can find here: http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/

Using ImageJ, all you have to do is download one of the maps, open it, and then draw a squiggly line on it that represents the path you want to take. Hit Ctrl+M, and it measures the length of the line (I think in pixels, but I'm still playing with that). I used Strathon to Ithell as my base case to establish a conversion rate, and now I can easily and accurately measure and distance I want.

This sucker can do a ton more things, as well. Like measure areas of countries, if you wanted. Just outline the figure and go to Analyze->Measure. Voila! Now you can see if all the Land Area estimates we have on the nation pages are close  :D

Just thought I would let people know about this. My group is traveling great distances every other session, so it's certainly useful for me.

Eltern

Ah. Just figured it out. You can set the scale, so you read directly in miles.

avisarr

Wow! Fantastic! Great find. I will download that tonight and take a closer look at it.

Thanks for letting us know. I'll post again after I've had a chance to play with it.