In-game use of term "Khoras"

Started by Drul Morbok, March 16, 2022, 04:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drul Morbok

This is another question about how you see/handle it, rather than about what's "right/wrong"...and maybe no one besides me sees any point in asking 😅

I'm wondering who, if anyone, would use the term "Khoras(ian)" within the game world.

Would "why on Khoras" be the equivalent of "why on Earth"?
Would it be a technical term for the planet, used by astronomers, unknown to commoners?
Would it be an eponym? Named after whom/what?

Or is it more like a metagame term that does not appear within the game world?

David Roomes

That's an excellent question.

I view it similar to etymology of words like "earth" or "terra". In other words, the name is basically derived from the words that mean "ground" or "land" or something similar in a predecessor language.

In my opinion, "Khoras" is a Rukemian word that means "the world" and it's derived, passed down through Thullian, from an ancient Barakus word meaning "ground". The term "Khoras" has spread to the northern and southern tongues and is now the common term for the world in most of Ithria.

However, in other lands, they have their own name for the world based on their languages.

David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

tanis

Really smart, cool question; and really well-thought out answer! :D
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Drul Morbok

Thanks for your answer - and wow, that's the coherency and consistency for which I love this site 😎
Everything fits together.