AWMyths - Land of Korth Game

Started by Garrick, July 14, 2008, 10:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrick

Hello,

For about 4 years now, I've been part of this virtual 3D environment called Active Worlds ( activeworlds.com ). It's free to join, but unfortunately like other programs out there, you have to pay a fee of $6.95 a month to experience more features like owning a world. But, most worlds allow you to visit & participate as a free user. About 2 years ago, I stumbled upon this site after researching loads of Greek, Roman, and Norse mythologies for a game world within Active Worlds. Immediately, I was hooked to this site as every time I visited, I could find something new that I didn't learn about the last visit. So, I incorporated elements of Khoras mythologies into my game, along with Greek, Roman, and Norse. The result, I think, is one of my most impressive works and has received great reviews from all its players. Unfortunately, Active Worlds does not get many users, which means even less players for my game. So, I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to come by and check it out, offer their own input to the game. I admit that I am not completely all-knowing on Khoras info, so I'd like to extend a hand of a staff invitation to anyone here that would like to help me build up my game into a Khoras-based game. My game has been running for about a year now, the storyline has progressed wonderfully.

Upon downloading the AW browser, go to the world AWMyths

AWMyths has unlimited capabilities in terms of land, building, bot/game development, etc

Garrick

Oh, a couple more things

AWMyths official website: awmyths.com

AWMyths official forums: awmyths.topic-debate.com

Garrick

sid6.7

sorry man i'm locked up in a game of traveller right now(1-1/2 years running) so i don't really have the time
for any more. maybe this winter when i have less to do....

avisarr

I'll head out and take a look at it tomorrow.

avisarr

Looks like you guys have a good start on your project. I wasn't able to get the activeworlds browser working here, but that doesn't surprise me. Major firewall to get through. I'll try again from home tonight and take a look.

I've always been intrigued by immersive 3D virtual worlds. Sid6.7 was doing some 3D experiments a few years ago and we discussed, in very general terms, what it would take to do Khoras in 3D. It's always been in the back of my mind. I'd love to take Khoras in that direction, but the sheer amount of work involved in building even just one village in a 3D virtual environment is daunting. Building an entire planet would take an army of programmers. Still, it'd be awfully fun. :)

Maybe if the right software comes along, I might start experimenting with that.

Garrick

The programmer on my AWMyths team could program a 3d browser for a Khoras world to exist in

avisarr

Ok Garrick. I checked out AWMyths. I downloaded the Active Worlds browser and installed it and wandered around their world and bit and then checked out your site. It's pretty cool. I am really intrigued by these immersive virtual worlds. Unfortunately, my graphics card is starting to die and has trouble with really graphics intensive stuff like that, so I didn't spend more than about 10 minutes looking around.

I'm curious: How big a "world" can you build? Is it unlimited? Are you limited to a library of preset models and materials or can you custom build your own models and materials? Are the bots essentially the NPCs of the world? How smart are they? Can they be programmed with a vast array of conversational skills and decent artificial intelligence?

If the world is unlimited, the bots are super smart and customization is simple, then that might be an interesting way to recreate a world, like Khoras, in 3D. Still sounds like a HELL of a lot of work though.  ;)  But I'm pretty impressed with what you've got there. I'm definitely going to have to upgrade this video card before I delve deeply into this virtual world stuff.  :D

Sid6.7, any thoughts on this?

If anyone else out there wants to take a look at Garrick's world, you go to ActiveWorlds.com and download their browser. Then go into their world and on the Teleport Menu, go to the To... option and under World put AWMyths. That'll take you to Garrick's creation.

Is there anything out there better than Active Worlds? Is there anything out there similar to what I described? (i.e. very customizable, no size limits, very programmable NPCs, custom models, etc). Anyone? Bueller?

Garrick

Since AWMyths is sponsored by AWI (the company that owns active worlds 3d worlds), the current world is completely without limits. It can keep being expanded and expanded. One of the largest AWI-owned world out there is approaching 4 million square meters. And As long as you have a web server, you can custom upload models, textures, avatars, avatar gestures, and sounds to the world "object path". AWMyths' has probably hundreds of thousands various models and textures.. and the world server supports infinite objects in the world. All of these objects can be custom built in ANY fashion by a world developer (or even the average player now that can furnish their own home in AWMyths)

The bots control everything in the world from simple combat between players to player transactions to buying/selling to fishing, mining, crystal mining, hunting, alchemy which lets you create any item in the database of potions, weaponry, armory, etc), letting players join and take part in various nations, letting players go on various quests, and of course that fancy HUD display in top left corner of the screen that shows your health bars. And the bot keeps growing as me and the programmer keep thinking up ideas. We have no bounds to what is possible. That's what I love about AW and what separates it from other chat clients.

Garrick

Active Worlds has released new holiday deals also for people here to check out: http://activeworlds.com/newsletter/1208/120808.html

norwaymyloame

This is a very simple game in which you put "I dont believe"  before a phrase in which you show a hatred or dislike for something.

I dont think little kids should be in or start a "rock" band or you will end up with a half-assed Nickelodeon show.