Living Khoras 3D Project

Started by Golanthius, September 23, 2008, 08:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golanthius

Hey David - With all the excellent work and detailed realistic maps, I have to say I'm disappointed in the art work on that site (too cartoonish). I hope this is experimental and you will have more realistic 3D images for Khoras. It deservers the best available.

This is just one DM's opinion.

avisarr

Well, I have no talent for drawing... at least compared to many people I know. All of the hand drawn artwork which currently exists on this site is from four different artists. Two of them I paid what little money I could. One of them I traded work with (I did some video work for him and he drew a few pictures from me). The fourth artist is Kristian who lives over in Europe. He drew all the Khoras races. (Thank you Kristian!) I didn't pay him. He was very generous and did it just to help out Khoras... just to contribute. It was an awesome gift.

I do plan on adding more 3D renderings to Khoras. I was planning on starting with cities, plants and animals. I may eventually do the races too, but since I had artwork already for them, I wasn't in a rush. But yes, I do plan on eventually creating some 3D character models to show off the different races. Actually, when I do the races and characters in 3D, I'll be able to animate them - walk cycles and that sort of thing.

Golanthius

I think you may have misunderstood me, I was talking about the village of Qirben sample 3D work on Cruzan Wallis site, not the artwork inside Khoras. I think the drawings and CG work in Khoras is great. I also think that Kristian's drawings are very good and match the race descriptions beautifully.

tanis

i agree kristian did a great job.

except for as some of you know i have a fairly different take on ankari because i formed my opinion before David added the link and new info on the race, so he couldn't exactly match my mind lmao but anyways yeah i agree Khoras artwork is awesome.

however highly realistic 3D renders would be unbelievable!
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Golanthius

Tanis,
Take a look at www.medievalworlds.com and see some realistic 3D art.

avisarr

The 3D artwork on Cruzan's site was, I believe, just a test. He was doing some experimentation with 3D and he and I were talking about using some 3D for Khoras. But we never created anything official, really. It was just some brainstorming and such. So, yeah, this is an idea that's been bounced around for awhile.

There are already some crude samples on Khoras created by me. For instance, take a look at the crystals and gems under Mineralogy. This was an early attempt at 3D. Most of them are pretty crude and could be much better. Also, the picture on the Guestbook page and the image on the currency page. Again, crude samples. I'm a bit disappointed with the Guestbook and Currency images because for several years I was using Animation:Master and I am a bit disappointed in the AM renderer.

I have looked at the artwork at www.medievalworlds.com and it is REALLY good stuff. I emailed the guy and asked him what software he uses (Lightwave). I don't have Lightwave, but I did recently get a copy of 3DS Max, which can also do professional quality stuff, just like Lightwave. I also have a copy of Vue which is good for mountains, forests and outdoor scenes. So, Max and Vue together will kick ass. As a matter of fact, I'm experimenting this month on some 3D composites. This is the kind of thing that takes time. I think what I might do is create one CG piece each month - either a still or a short animation, and tie it to the spotlight. There will be an example of that next month (I think next's month spotlight is Religion, so maybe I'll do a temple scene or something like that). Anyway, more 3D stuff is coming soon. And I also plan on replacing the current CG material with better stuff.

sid6.7

snif snif....i guess i'll go eat worms...sigh

:'(

should i take it down?

tanis

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

avisarr

Sid, no, that's not necessary. You don't need to take it down. I like the enthusiasm and I love all 3D work. Especially 3D for Khoras. :)  Feel free to leave it online. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go there later today and take another look at it. Perhaps we could finish that small village you started in 3D. :) Anyway, yours is the first 3D piece of a Khoras village and, as such, inspires me to get off my ass and start building some 3D!

Golanthius

It was not my intention to hurt anyones feelings...Sid, your 3D work is better than anything I could ever hope to produce, I don't understand the programs. I just feel that Khoras needs to have realistic looking 3D to match the quality of the site.

WORMS!!! Disgusting...yuck

tanis

haha i know someone who ate worms for 5 bucks as a boy scout skit.

he got really sick at his stomach later lmao.

Kristian

Hey, :) I hadn't noticed this thread. Thanks for the compliments, everyone. It's always great when someone's likes your work. If you ever want to see what I draw besides Khoras stuff check out my deviantART profile on skrir.deviantart.com.
- Kristian

Golanthius

Great work Kristian. I visited deviantart before and actually bought some prints there. I really like the mosaics and the Taarnblaeserne work is awesome.

tanis

Wow! I liked what you did with the races, but what I just saw on deviantart was awesome!

Lionheart

Hey, maybe a dump on nice wallpapers would work? I have collected some that can be applicable. 35 to be exact is what I've whittled down to be relevant to my campaigns.