Use to having Dragons...

Started by Maiazuru, November 29, 2007, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiazuru

Whats the use in having dragons, since they seem impossible to kill save by, perhaps, a large army?

Delbareth

I totally agree with this question!
I have not decided myself if I keep such dragons in my game. For my players (and in my gaming style), meeting a "normal" dragon is already a big issue, and I don't speak about killing it!
Delbareth
Les MJ ne sont ni sadiques ni cruels, ce sont juste des artistes incompris.

Golanthius

I think the dragons of Khoras are how dragons should be, they are magnificent beasts with no fear and nearly impossible to kill. If you are able to find an unhatched egg or maybe even a hatchling you may be able to raise it to be a ally (good luck with that one). I have always felt that the dragons of Greyhawk are kinda wimpy, even with their magic and their size they can be subdued, it just doesn't make sense, a dragon is an animal with animal instincts and should be played as such. They are not some fairy tale magical creature that you can befriend and keep as a pet.

I have been a DM for many years and it was not until I saw the dragons of Khoras that I felt that someone (David) finally did them justice.

Maiazuru

Dragons which are impossible to kill in a world where confronting and killing dragons is one of the fun things about it?  ???

sid6.7

i think it makes Khoras unique and thats why i like them this way here...not just the old typical dragon everyone elese has....

avisarr

It is possible to kill a dragon. It's just very, very difficult. As it says on the Khoras site, killing a dragon is a very rare event - the once-in-a-generation, kingdom-saving kind of feat that the bards sing about for years afterward... the kind of event that ends up in history books. It's THAT kind of event. So, yes, they are very tough. But they can be killed. It just takes a team of heroes and every ounce of luck, courage and magic they've got.

Too often, in other worlds and in different games, I've seen dragons made too common and too weak. They are watered down. If you make them too common, then slaying a dragon is no longer the grand quest-ending climax it once was. It's just another monster with a few more hit dice. I think dragons deserve more respect and fear than that.

TSR, Wizards and other game companies have done a lot of things to dragons that I don't really like. In the early days of D&D (1st and 2nd edition), there were actually rules governing the dragon's sleep cycle. It was, quite easy, to catch a dragon sleeping and sneak up on it. Why should this, the grandest of all creatures, be the only one that can be caught napping? Why create special rules for "subduing" a dragon when no other creature has such a weakness? With third edition and 3.5, dragons have gotten tougher, yes.

However, beyond the issue of how strong a dragon is, the game companies further diluted the dragon by making them very human-like. D&D dragons can talk, cast spells and are hyper-intelligent. Some of them are good creatures and highly magical. I don't like that kind of dragon. I want a DRAGON. A huge, armor plated, fire breathing beast. It's like comparing that dog-faced dragon from "The Never Ending Story" to the T-Rex in "Jurassic Park". (Yes, I know the T-Rex isn't a dragon, but that's not the point). One is cute and fluffy and magical. And the other will make your players shit their pants.

The dragons in my campaign are usually more myth and legend than anything else... they're tales told in the taverns, a lair marked on the map, an obscure name. I don't ever really create a plot where the players are absolutely required to kill a dragon. It's always an option, but never a necessity. The last time the plot involved a dragon, the players had to steal something out of its lair, but they didn't have to actually fight it. And, as a side note, they could have avoided the need to invade the lair all together by going after something else. It was their choice. Sometimes the "fun thing" is figuring how to accomplish your goal when it involves a creature that you aren't yet strong enough to kill.

As a final note, I always encourage game masters to alter things for their own campaigns. You can certainly adjust the dragons in your campaign. Go ahead and customize them. It's your world and you have every right to make your dragons as strong or as weak as you need them to be.

In my own personal version of Khoras, the dragon remains as is... a 100 ton fire breathing, flying tank.

sid6.7

amen brother dave...

i modeled mine after yours...but i made mine somewhat "feathery"...and about 1/2 the size of yours...

i also made mine so that you need range weapons to kill one other wise they will mangle you for sure...

tanis

I keep them invulnerable and what-not. However, if my character Tanis was put into gaming terms he'd be pretty ridiculous. Probably have more in common with a demigod in terms of stats. So... lol.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.