Little question on world shape

Started by Delbareth, September 11, 2005, 04:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delbareth

Khoras is a normal world : spheric. But do Khorasian know that?
I think about this question by looking at the maps. There is "The Great Western Ocean" on the west, and "The Vast" on the east. It is surely the same ocean. Is it known by everybody? by scholar? by kalimuran or saridian?
Delbareth
Les MJ ne sont ni sadiques ni cruels, ce sont juste des artistes incompris.

Delbareth

Another question about ocean.
The Dronik Ocean is said to be the largest ocean (I hadn't seen that before, as a consequance GWOcean is retrogaded to the largest ocean known by Ithiran people), but it should be the same as GWOcean and The Vast... I'm a bit lost...  ???
Delbareth

avisarr

Most of the commoners and serfs of the average kingdom think the world if flat. Likewise most mariners think that too. But some scholars probably have debates about the world being round. Only a handful actually know for sure because they've either sailed around it or used magic in some way to travel around it. Either way, whether you think it's flat or round depends on who you are in the world and your point of view. Some people even TODAY think the world is flat, despite overwhelming scientific evidence! :)

Regarding the ocean, it's tough to say which is the biggest since there are no hard and firm boundaries agreed on. Also, different cultures call the same body of water by different names. The same people who think the world is flat believe that the the Vast and the Great Western Ocean are two separate bodies of water many thousands of miles apart.

sid6.7

Quote from: Delbareth on September 11, 2005, 04:55:09 AM
Khoras is a normal world : spheric. But do Khorasian know that?
I think about this question by looking at the maps. There is "The Great Western Ocean" on the west, and "The Vast" on the east. It is surely the same ocean. Is it known by everybody? by scholar? by kalimuran or saridian?

good question...on my world one hemisphere does not know about the other
(during the current time frame) so in effect they think the world is flat...

when i first saw khoras i thought it was just one side of the globe
which made me think khoras(pyshically) was HUGE!

how many kinds of worlds are there...

sphereic...ring...flat oval(i heard)...isnt LOTR that way i think?
the reverse globes "peludicar and hidden world?"

i also think there are 2 neat ones by hienlien?
called the raft and temporal trees? they are
globeless worlds where space is filled with
oxygen just around stars...so you float in space
and live on floating obejcts(or not)...

any other kinds of worlds you can think of?

avisarr

Dyson Sphere. Could also be called Hollow World. Where you've got a hollow sphere and people live on the inside surface. With a star at the center, that means that you get to collect 100% of the energy from the star. It also means that the sphere has to be HUGE. Millions of times larger than a normal planet. In theory, you could also have an atmosphere wrapped around the outside surface and have life on that side too.

Dsyon Spheres, Ring Worlds and all the rest are fun concepts when you're dealing with science fiction. However, when it comes to low tech swords and sorcery stuff, I prefer a traditional, round Earth-like world. :)

sid6.7

ah... dyson sphere i'd been calling them reverse globes...LOL

thanks for the info on that...

Delbareth

It seems to me that it comes from the man who invented this concept. It could explain why we don't see aliens. Advanced civilisation would build huge sphere around their star in order to collect the maximum of star energy 8). From the outside, this civilisation (and even its star) is invisible...
Of course it is very hypothetic  ;)
Delbareth

avisarr

Yep. The Dyson Sphere is a theoretical concept for proposed by a physicist named Freeman Dyson back in the 50's. There are variations on the idea - such as a thin bubble or millions of independent solar collectors. In sci fi, the most common version is a continuous surface which would be habitable on the inside surface. But that surface would be the radius of a planetary orbit. And the surface area would be about 600 million times the size of the Earth! They used a Dyson sphere in one of the Star Trek: Next Gen episodes.