Strengths, Weaknesses, and other ideas

Started by Lance, January 08, 2007, 12:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance

I know I havevn't been busy on Perecho for a while, but most of that has to do that I recently moved and do not have my computer with me.

Anyways, so what is everyones opinion on adding a strengths and weakness system to a play by post rpg like the one I'm taking 10 years to do?

Are there any other ideas that anyone would like to see? Something that might work better for a text based game as opposed to a D20 type system.

avisarr

I love strengths and weaknesses. Not sure how you're planning on implementing that in an online situation, but as far as the context within the game, I love 'em. Certain races have strengths and weaknesses, certain classes (if you use classes) have strengths and weakness.

Different games add on additional components. GURPS lets you add advantages and disadvantages to a character which can really let you customize what you're playing.

I've seen some homebrewed systems that incorporated "talents". That is, some characters are born with talents for certain thing. So, it's the same idea, but it's on an individual basis, rather than a result of being a certain race or class. It's totally based on the individual. Some people are just BORN better at certain things. The system of talents that I saw incorporated both positive and negative talents. So you can be better than average in some stuff, but below average in other areas. For example, a player character could have a +7 in archery and a -5 in cooking. He can hit a moving target with ease but can't make toast.

Talents, quirks, advantages, traits - whatever you call them - add LOADS of character. I believe that you should include negative traits, as well as positive.

Also, there should be a bell curve. That is, huge adjustments should be much more rare while minor adjustments should be relatively common. Lots of people have minor talents, but true prodigies are rare.

Lance

Quote from: David Roomes on January 08, 2007, 01:56:25 PM

I've seen some homebrewed systems that incorporated "talents". That is, some characters are born with talents for certain thing. So, it's the same idea, but it's on an individual basis, rather than a result of being a certain race or class. It's totally based on the individual. Some people are just BORN better at certain things. The system of talents that I saw incorporated both positive and negative talents. So you can be better than average in some stuff, but below average in other areas. For example, a player character could have a +7 in archery and a -5 in cooking. He can hit a moving target with ease but can't make toast.

Talents, quirks, advantages, traits - whatever you call them - add LOADS of character. I believe that you should include negative traits, as well as positive.

Also, there should be a bell curve. That is, huge adjustments should be much more rare while minor adjustments should be relatively common. Lots of people have minor talents, but true prodigies are rare.

Actually this is exactly what I was talking about. There will be certain racial traits that will play a part in a character, but I think it would throw more flare into things and also allow for more personalization of a character.

I believe that if a character wishes to great at something, then they need to be equally as bad at something of equal or greater value.

Oh and the bell curve idea is a great one as well.

Lance

I'm considering using this system instead of a feats system for Perecho. What is everyone's opinion on this?

avisarr

You mean a talent system in place of the d20 Feat system? I think that's great. Go for it. I think there are several areas where the Feat system can be improved. So, why not just create your own system...