D20 new rules for Khoras

Started by Laurent MEKKA, October 04, 2014, 06:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurent MEKKA

I'm playing my campaign in Khoras with Pathfinder and I'd like to make my own Khoras D20 OGL rules set (after a few tries with microlite ou 100% from scratch), and for now it's my best attempt :D

Here's a few changes from DD3.5 and Pathfinder that comes in my rules, please criticize !

Magic

Arcane Magic :
No "vancian" magic system.
Spells are launched with points.
Each mage has an orichalcum artefact (wand or something else...) with a few points.
It can be used to launch spells, then, you use your vitality points (HP is split in "Vitality Points" and "Wounds Points").
Level 0 spells are at-will and free.

Divine Magic :
Clerics and other similar classes have "Faith points" that are used to launch spells.
They do not replenish when you rest.
There's 3 way to regain lost points :
- Prayer : Once a day, regain 1 point.
- Offering to the god : once a day, regain 50%
- Sacrifice : once a day, regain 100%

For example, for Barrinor :
- Prayer => A 10 minutes prayer, alone in a room
- Offering => 100gp to a Barrinor Temple
- Sacrifice => The cleric must be the one that kill an enemy (chaotic or evil)  with a hammer (ie. the attack that take the hp of the enemy to 0) and dedicate his strike to Barrinor by shouting "For Barrinor !" while striking.

Are the god real and actually helping, is it just self-confidence and the gods doesn't exist or it's self confidence because even the gods exists, they don't care ? Everything is possible...

Skill System

I won't use classical DD skill system but instead the 13th age (a rpg made by designers of DD4 and that is something like a 3.5 / 4 hybrid but with gridless combat and some "indie rpg" rules) skill system known as Backgrounds.

You choose a few backgrounds to your character and assign points to it.
When a background is relevant to a skill check, you use your bonus and that's it.

Example : "Child of the Avarian mountains +2" give you +2 for skill checks about climbing, survival in the mountains, knowledge of the geography or history of Avar and whatever would be logical and claimed by the player.
It's interesting because the player have to be more involved in the character and not only the numbers. What a "Sage of the Pirate Isles" should be good at ?

Nation of birth

Each character has to decide where he is born.
He gains a free background, like "Child of the Avarian Mountain" or "Innate magic of Corvenia" with a +2 bonus et sometimes something more.
Example :
Innate Magic of Corvenia
Natives from Corvenia learn two of the following cantrips of their choice: light, mage hand, prestidigitation, and read magic. They gain also the backgrond Innate magic of Corvenia +2 and know fauna, history, politics and culture of the country.

David Roomes

Hi Laurent!

My apologies for the very long delay in responding. October has been a surprisingly busy month.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I can really help you by giving you a critique. I'm not familiar with the Pathfinder system (but I am VERY curious about it and would love to try it one day). I'm also not familiar with 13th age.

I do like your two magic systems. I've always been a fan of spell point systems. And I like your method for clerics recharging their points through prayer and sacrifice. Very interesting!

David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

Laurent MEKKA

You are familiar with pathfinder as it's almost the same as d&d 3.5 ! So these rules could apply to it

David Roomes

I have GOT to try Pathfinder soon! I think I'm going to prep a single night adventure sometime soon and take Pathfinder for a test drive. :)  I'm also curious about Runequest and Burning Wheel. Hell, maybe I'll just create my own role playing system.  ;)
David M. Roomes

Laurent MEKKA

I'm doing Khorasian races for pathfinder, I'll send it to you and you'll tell me what you think about !
I'm using your  racial stats in the DM tools section on the site as a base and use the rules and good practices from the Pathfinder's Advanced Race Guide book and my own view on these races :D
For now Avarians, Baenites and Borellians are done.

David Roomes

David M. Roomes