Preparations for the Campaign

Started by avisarr, November 21, 2006, 12:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avisarr

The 2007 Campaign

I'm going to be starting a new campaign in 2007. I think we're going to kick it off sometime in January. I thought I'd get a head start on things this time around. For those of you checking, you might notice that the notes and session summaries from the Jaidor Talisman campaign are going up online fairly rapidly now. I'm determined to get that one finished well before the new campaign starts.

And for this new campaign, I'm going to post fairly regularly. I thought I'd start with a couple of posts during the preparations phase - the players are getting their characters ready and I'm getting the campaign ready. And then, once we start, I'll begin posting regular updates as the campaign unfolds.

It's currently November 21, 2006, just a couple of days before the Thanskgiving holiday here in the States. I haven't written the campaign yet. Indeed, I have only vague ideas about the central plot... several interesting concepts, but I haven't tied them all together yet. Still waiting for inspiration to strike.

We will be playing Dungeons and Dragons, version 3.5 and the d20 Open Source system. But I'll be fudging quite a bit. I have several house rules I'm going to implement and I may tweak the rules as we go. But for the most part, we're playing D&D v3.5.

As for the players, they are all getting excited. I'll list the players and their characters below...

Mark Price - A long time player who has also been very involved in the creation of Khoras over the last decade... Mark's character concept is a Magrakian who was raised by a grumman family in Ithria. So, although he looks like a Magrakian, he acts much more like a grum. Also, he's going to be a wizard... but he'll be more concerned with cooking than most other things. It'll be interesting to see this personality develop.

Nathan Sherman - Nathan is thinking about running a Corvenian. Now, this is an idea I like a lot. The corvenians are "natural" wizards. Magic comes easily to them. So he and I are going to cook up a whole new magic system specifically for the corvenians. You can expect the nation of Corvenia and all things related to it to get a serious boost because of this character.

Greg Jensen - An old college buddy of mine that used to play with me and Mark back at Miami University in the early 90s in Ohio. We three go WAY back. Anyway, Greg has moved out to Seattle and he's joining us. He'll be running a cavalier/knight type. Actually, a fallen paladin... a paladin who rejected the religious teachings of his order. So, he's sort of a paladin who "fell" before he even reached 1st level. A nice twist. We're going to cook up his stats using a custom template. He's going to be more like an old school cavalier from the 2nd edition days more than anything else. A good old fashion Knight in Shining Armor. He is the only fighter type in the group.

Steve Journey - A new friend and a new player. Relatively new to gaming in general and looking forward to playing with a bunch of old school veterans. Steve is going to be playing a half elven "battle mage". Basically, a wizard who uses light armor and swings a sword.

Henry Mobley - Henry was a player in the Jaidor Talisman campaign. He's back for the new campaign. Henry, ever the team player, said he'll run whatever the party needs. Since the party is a bit magic heavy, we need more muscle and maybe some healing. Henry is thinking about running a cleric... probably a war priest of some kind, but this isn't set in stone. We'll see.

We're probably going to stick with just these 5 players. I've got several other people who want to play and others who I haven't even invited yet, but we just don't have room. It's a shame. I would love to invite everyone to play, but then I'd end up with 8 or 9 players and that's too much. Five players is a good number. So, my apologies to any one else who wanted in.

That's it for now. More to come. I'll post updates as things develop...

Soris Polrit

"We're waaaai-ting!!"

{To quote The Princess Bride.}

;D
I know I left my spellbook around here somewhere...

tanis

k man you have got to keep us informed and one of these days you ARE going to get someone to run an Ankari lol. just so you know. ;P
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

avisarr

Just a quick update. Greg is playing a "fallen paladin". In game terms, he's running a straight fighter, but he's definitely being played as a "knight".

Steve wanted to play a wizard that could wear armor and swing a sword. The D&D system doesn't really let you do that... at least, not WELL. So, I created a new character class. It just so happens that there's already a wizard school in Vorrik that specializes in training and producing "war mages". Now, there's an actualy "battle mage" character class for D&D version 3.5. I will be posting that soon. Not sure where I'll put it, but I'll post it somewhere.

And finally, I ran Greg and Steve through a solo session. They're characters met and have started the journey. Those two are getting a little bit of a head start over the rest of the players. (It'll probably be a week or two before I'm able to start soloing the others). Anyway, I'll post a session summary about their first session as soon as I can. So, it's begun.

Soon I'll have a "corvenian" character class and I'll post that too. More info on that later...

tanis

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Sendel

Session 1 was finally accomplished!!! Not sure when David will get the notes up, but the party's first, uh, encounter ended up bearing a strong resemblance to a phrase by one Lando Calirssian:  The shortest offensive of all time!

Anyhow...  It's good to be back playing.  I kept a record of my last campaign with David, but it looks like Nathan has it well covered this time.  Means I get to relax a bit and not try to remember every little detail that happens, and just enjoy it as it goes.

Soris Polrit

Oh yeah. It was short. Short as the short end of the short stick David whipped us with. At least we're still alive.

I would elaborate, but I'm afraid everyone will have to wait for the summary to be posted. I don't want my character killed in a horrible and yet interesting way just yet. I haven't rolled up my Rogue!
I know I left my spellbook around here somewhere...