Started by sid6.7, August 28, 2005, 04:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid6.7

i just want to give some credit to Kristian for his artwork
he's done some for me now and its just amazing how he
brings a creature or person to life, that you've had in your
mind only.... then goes down on paper.

i've also had a few poeple do some other things for me
and good, but so far Kris is "DA MAN!"..

make sure to check his drawings out here at khoras if
you get a chance, and read some of the descriptions
and you'll see how very neat he brought them to life.

unfortunatly most of us really suck at drawing and that
can really kill an RPG, im glad hes around for me!

I think it begs the question, how important can an artwork
be to the success of an RPG? if you look at the beginning
D&D stuff VS Traveller stuff.....D&D had some cool boxes
and sketches in its manuals...traveller had very very little.......
D&D was a clear winner for awhile becuase of that i think
then GURPS(kinda traveller remade) came out and they now
have cool art and do pertty well i think.

i think artwork can have a 70% effect on how an RPG does
in the long term. even though its suppose to be a Imagination
game and your suppose to use your head rather then drawings
it seems to be the way its ended up. NOT to put anyones
content down at all. :)

THANKS KJR!

avisarr

I'd like to second that. On both topics.

Artwork (and graphics in general) can have a huge impact on the success of any project. Especially with role playing games and these web sites. I mean, we're dealing with very creative, imaginative stuff that is outside the realm of normal, everyday experience. Artwork helps a huge amount.

And second, I'd like to thank Kristian for his amazing artwork. This is the first time, EVER, that I've had such a complete range of artwork for the Greater and Lesser Races. Great work Kristian.

David

Kristian

Thanks! Both of you. I really appreciate it. I love drawing fantasy stuff, and it wasn't untill I started submitting fan art for Khoras that I found out how fun it can be to draw other peoples' ideas. I have to really pay attention when reading the descriptions and I like to read around too, to get some detail in, maybe from a nation description or anything that wasn't necessarily in the race description.

And let me just take this opportunity to thank you two, for putting my stuff on your web sites. I look at it as an honour that you deem my drawings worthy of representing your thoughts and ideas.

And yes, I agree. Art work plays a very big role in the outlook of any project like these. It's usually the first impression the viewer gets before they get to reading.

And sid6.7, I didn't know that was you! Can't believe I didn't pick up on that, but your name didn't really give me a clue. Hi!  :)
- Kristian

sid6.7

yeah i go by so many alias's i no longer even remember my real name sometimes :o

ITS ME!! HI!

sid6.7

wow just looked at the new aquatic artwork section...EXCELLENT work kris!
the eel thing is just wicked looking....

and holy smokes i had no idea the scale of the megoladon!!!
i read it....but WOW...

Kristian

Thanks! I drew that little guy in just for that purpose. Like you I read "60 feet" but it didn't really register. I hope I got right. 60 feet is about 20 meters (I think), and the guy is about 1,80 meters, so thats what I went by. I also drew small "scale people" next to the Polar Worm and Behemoth that are coming up soon. I'm putting the finishing touches on the arctic fauna.
- Kristian

Carius

avisarr

Carius,

In response to your question, yes... this is like D&D. A lot like it. Khoras is a fictional, fantasy world. It's a lot like Middle Earth in the Lord of the Rings. It's a complete world with kingdoms and knights and wizards and monsters. Khoras was originally created as a "campaign setting" in which to play role playing games (like Dungeons and Dragons). If you've heard of Greyhawke and Forgotten Realms, you know what a campaign setting is. That's essentially what Khoras is.

Khoras is NOT a game all by itself. It's just a world. In order to play in Khoras, you need to use a game, like D&D or some other game. Traditional dice and paper and pencil games are what I'm talking about. The nice thing about Khoras is that you can use any game system you like - D&D, Runequest, MERP, GURPS, Fudge, Alternity... anything.

If you want to play online... well, Khoras isn't really an online game. Not like Ultima Online or Neverwinter Nights. But there are some people who have put Khoras gaming online. One person created a NeverWinter Nights adventure based on Khoras. And one large group of online gamers are doing an internet chat version of Khoras. You can find a link to their site on the Links pages of Khoras.

I hope that answers your question. I encourage you to gather some friends, get yourself some traditional gaming books and explore Khoras. Everyone is welcome. And you are welcome to post questions here in this forum anytime.

David