Statting out Fauna

Started by Spence, May 02, 2006, 02:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spence

Most of the creatures are now statted out and on the pages, so for everybodies enjoyment here on the forums i'll link the page to you.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~phaeton/khoras/dathkandra/bestiary.html

Thanks to Phaeton for the webwork, Sarah, Phil, Mikey and once again Phaeton for the reference materials and idea's when i was stuck (which was often).  But mostly thanks to David as they're all his creations! 

Not all of them are on there just yet, we gotta playtest some of the others to make sure we didnt make them too overpowered...(I think we made a Scythe Lizard more powerful than a standard DnD dragon, might have to change that lol)

avisarr

Congratulations on finishing this huge project. I know you've been working on this for some time. Thanks to you and the others who helped for statting all these Khoras creatures. I'm sure many people will get much use out of these stats. Including me in my next campaign!  ;)

funny-popsicle

lol, too many numbers and
explanations :o, but hey
looks good to me, but hey i
really wouldnt know, i dont
play alot of board games
in the classical D and D style.

Hmm tell me if this would be a
good idea.
Have one number and compare
each monster to it in terms
of athletics, dexterity, intellegence,
etc, and each of those will be
based on the information from
the fauna section of the site.
For example, a polar worm is
considered very fast, strong
and has the brains to surprise
its opponents, Lets say
my main number for monsters
in the game is 40, for Dex
it would have hmm 25 because
it is nimble and can move through
the snow quick because
of its hot 2nd head hehe,
for its athletics, well its a pretty
big creature weighing tons and
near 30-60 feet long, so well
make it a high number lets say
35, and for intellegence,
Besides being smart enough to
surprise its opponents, its not
too smart to quickly go
back underground and leaves
its soft padded spots behind
armor sections open to your character
making me say its intellegence
should have 15. now We do the
same for our characters in
this style but you start out with o say
20 points to spend on each skill and
attribute, and as you level up
you can have more. Would this be
an ok idea????

Spence

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with that idea...maybe a little more info on it would be helpful?

avisarr

Well, basically you and your friends are quantifying the attributes of characters and monsters in a numeric fashion. This is the basis for all role playing games. Quantifying reality through mathematics so that you can compare and extroplate in meaningful ways. That's a fancy way of saying that you're building a game.

But anyway, the deal is that you guys may be re-inventing the wheel. You mention that you aren't familiar with D&D. You should take a look at D&D and many of the other role playing games out there. These systems are already built and ready to use. If you find one you like, you don't have to bother building one. You can also modify a game if you don't like something in it.

Or, you can keep going the way you are and just build your own game. But it's a lot of work. If you're having fun, great. Keep going. Just know that building a game is a lot of work, but it's also very rewarding. For me, I'd rather just start with an existing game and tweak it until it's the way I want it. That way, we can get to the good stuff faster - namely, stories and adventures and such.

Ok, so that's a long winded response, but the answer is "Yes, it's a good idea". :)

funny-popsicle

Quote from: Spence on September 28, 2006, 11:52:59 AM
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with that idea...maybe a little more info on it would be helpful?

i mean basing monsters and characters
attributes on their characteristics from
the written sections of this site about them
and base all the attributes of a certain number

avisarr

Ok, I think I understand. Not sure, but let me answer. Yes, it's a good idea to base the statistics on the descriptions found in the Khoras site. I've been very careful to leave numbers out of it so that you can use any game system you want. However, I usually try to describe things in such a way that you have a good idea of how strong, fast, smart, etc someone or some creature is. That's basically what Spence did with the bestiary he worked on. He read the description and took his best guess. And took into account other creatures in order to figure out how tough to make them.