Premiere of Serenity Movie

Started by avisarr, August 18, 2005, 12:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avisarr

Just a reminder that Serenity premieres in the US on this day, according to www.imdb.com. For those of you who are familiar with Serenity, put your brown coats on and get to the theatre. If you're not familiar with Firefly and Serenity, go rent the Firefly DVDs and become a fan!

I'll post the release dates for other countries since we've got several European Khoras fans. :)

sid6.7

i've heard of this firefly show but never seen it...
i seen one recent add laletly that had a funny part...

this guy says "if someone trys to kill you....you kill them right back!"

hehehe....

avisarr

I HIGHLY recommend the TV show "Firefly". To all gamers. To all sci fi fans. To everyone. I can't say enough good things about it. It is, by far, my favorite television show. Unfortunately, it had a VERY short run on TV. The Fox network executives killed it after only 10 episodes. Executives just don't understand truly great material. However, Firefly has developed something of an underground cult following of fans. Much like Star Trek did back in the 70's.

the Sci Fi channel just picked up Firefly and is showing all the episodes. If we're lucky, the movie will generate enough buzz that Firefly will end up back on TV. I hope. Anyway, if you get a chance, check it out. It has some of the best writing you'll find anywhere.

sid6.7

funny i actually got to see firefly friday night, it wasnt too bad
the ending was kinda "traveller" like which i heard it was like.
the nice touch was it ended with them transporting a bunch of cattle... :)

havent seen serenity at the movies yet though...must not be here yet...

sid6.7

this firefly thing is soooooooooo travller i really am enjoying it
and i kinda like the campy diaoluge cuase it seems like its
a real RPG game on going....

examples:

"if someone trys to kill you...you kill them right back"
"do you want to run this ship?......yes....well....you cant"...

i dont really like one character dont think thier needed
on the show...but i'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10...

havent seen the movie yet...

avisarr

I just got back from seeing "Serenity". Actually, I've seen it twice night. Last night (opening night) and again tonight.

I have to say that I was thoroughly pleased with the movie. It was a GREAT movie. It surpassed my expectations. I won't go on gushing about it. If you go to www.imdb.com and read the comments there, you can find hundreds of people praising Serenity. All I can say is that I left the theatre emotionally exhausted. And I truly hope it makes enough money for them to make a sequel. And hopefully, turn it into a franchise.

Spence

I love Serenity and Firefly, we have the entire series (alas the bastards at Fox ended it after 1 season) and the movie...

But i cant stand what they did to the RPG...

When i first saw the book i got excited, i picked it up and started thumbing through it...then i saw the character "classes"

Mal The Captain
Zoey the First Mate
Wash the Pilot
Book the Sheperd
River the Psychic
Keylee the Mechanic
Sam the Doctor

Classes?  Those arent classes...I thought to myself..."What the hell were they thinking"  Then it hit me.  Rather than spend the time to make it a deep and rich RPG, they threw a bunch of pages together to make money...

I'll never get enough of Firefly or Serenity, but they really should have done them justice by giving them a DECENT RPG.  The whole setting for the series and movie is rich with culture and possiblities....

avisarr

There's an RPG based on Firefly? I didn't know that. Well, from your description, it sounds like they did a poor job. You're right... if THOSE are the character classes, it sounds like a very limited game. Oh well... there's plenty of good sci fi RPGs that you could use to create a Firefly universe. It's the story and characters that matter, not the rules so much. :)

Still, I'm glad to see that Firefly is still alive in some form. CURSE THOSE FOX EXECUTIVES FOR CANCELLING FIREFLY!  >:(

Spence

Yeah they made an RPG for it...d10 system, but very poor planning.

I'd love to explore the Serenity universe as a custom PC rather than Jayne or Mal...i mean...if i had done it, i'd have based classes on what the abilities of the Firefly characters were, not the characters themselves...

tanis

I recently saw Firefly on the Sci Fi Channel, and I loved it. I watched like five episodes, so it must have been a marathon. I loved how the guy who tried to sell out River and Sam was laying on that table being forgiven by Sam and after he leaves the room River's just like (peachily) "Also, I can kill you with my mind." lol I'll prolly get Serenity on dvd. The theme song's kool too lol.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

sid6.7

cool show..although i dont like the bi-hooker theme thing....

the guy rivers talking to is jane...he's hilarious...

tanis

Yeah him hehe he's a real jerk-off lol (literally if you've seen that one haha) ;D ;D ;D
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.