New Campaign and Pre Session Meeting

Started by David Roomes, November 14, 2015, 07:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Roomes

So, after 5 long years, we are finally kicking off a new campaign! Yay! I've been itching to game again. I wanted to be just a player, but no one wanted to take on that much work. So, I'm back in the hot seat, as Game Master.

This Sunday (November 15) we are going to have a pre-campaign meeting. A special get together just to roll up characters, discuss 5th edition rules and that sort of thing. I'll let you know how it goes. Summaries of each session will be posted in this board. Along with links to graphics, maps and so forth. First session will probably be early December.

I'm going to open up this Board to everyone. Comments on the campaign, and to individual session summaries, are welcome and encouraged.

The new campaign does not yet have a title.  Also, THIS time around, I'm going to keep careful track of all my notes and stay organized, so that when the campaign is done, I can post all documents in an organized fashion for other DMs to use. Just in case someone else wants to run the campaign.
David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

David Roomes

The character building session went well. We have four players. The characters they rolled up are as follows:

• A human fighter (with a strong swashbuckler/seaman vibe)
  • A human wizard
  • An elven thief
  • A dwarf/orc hybrid barbarian (he's got an interesting character background).

We're going to be using 5th edition rules and it looks like we're going to stick pretty close to the rules, as written. At least starting out.

First session will be December 13.

Characters are starting off in the town of Willow Bay, on the west coast of Mercia. They are being conscripted into militia service by the local duke to deal with attacks on villages to the north. That's all they know so far. More information coming later...
David M. Roomes

David Roomes

Yeah, what can I say.  ;)  I will be posting some information about all 4 players and their characters soon, along with the first session summary. However, I feel the need to explain that reference to the "fighter with a strong seaman vibe"... yeah, it's true. He's basically playing Callister Draabyn. Well, sort of. For those of you who don't know, Mark Price is my best friend and something of a collaborator on Khoras. His best, favorite, longest running character was a ship captain named Callister Draabyn. There are references to Callister in several places on the site.

To be totally honest, it's my own fault. The other three players figured out what they wanted to run early on and starting rolling up characters. But Mark struggled with it. He spent days and days going back and forth trying to figure out what to run, but nothing really "felt" right. I really wanted Mark to play in this campaign and I really wanted him ENGAGED. So I said "hey, why don't you just run Callister, you know that's who you really want to run, just make him 1st level again and start over". He admitted that Callister is who he wanted to run and liked the idea. But he took my idea and made it even better. He's going to run a new character who is a fan of Callister. He's a young fighter/seaman who idolizes the real Callister Draabyn. Has heard tales of Callister and wants to be like him. So, it actually works out. The continuity of the Khoras world I'm running is maintained. And Mark has a character that he's really excited about. I'm sure the character will develop his own personality and quirks and stories over time, but in the beginning, it'll be fun to have this awkward 1st level character idolizing a distant hero that he's never met and probably never will meet.

Anyway, I thought it was a good idea. I love Mark's idea. So that's his character. So, it's sort of a Callister clone, but in a very clever way. Can't way to see how this new character develops. Stay tuned. More information on the campaign coming!

David M. Roomes

Nathan Sherman

I think it is perfect that Mark is playing a sailor that idolizes Callister Draabyn!

I can even see there being the occasional "Draabynite" out there that ship captains curse of. Sometimes young men that truly want to emulate the legend, other times just a sea faring term for a crazy seeker of fortune and fame.

"My last crew had this crazy Draabynite kid that swear I heard muttering to the sea "here kraken, kraken, kraken". Didn't last two weeks before he died leaping into the maw of a dragon eel saying that he would handle it while we readied the ship to make way."

The legend lives on!