Magical Writing Systems

Started by tanis, June 21, 2006, 03:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avisarr

Well, ok. I don't want to be cruel.  ;)  Here's my idea:

My original idea was simply that I should add something to each of the wizard schools and mention what coding system (or systems) each teaches.

Then it occurred to me that the same question might be asked for any of the cities. Someone might ask "What magical writing system is most common in the city of Ithell?" for instance. That would be good to add.

But then I thought, why stop there? So I'm thinking that perhaps I should add a new section to each city and nation - a section that talks about magic. It would include things like: how that particular culture deals with magic, how common it is, what systems they use, how wizards are treated, what laws exist governing the use of magic and that sort of thing. A whole new section that talks all about how magic is dealt with in that particular city or nation.

So, I'm going to do both - the wizard schools will get a new bit that specifies what systems they teach. And cities and nations will get a new section that discusses the relationship between magic and culture.

tanis

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.