How much gold?

Started by Pirate_Beard, September 21, 2006, 06:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pirate_Beard

Firstly, kudos for the excellent site! It's a fascinating world :)

I hope this is the right section to post in - I have used the search tool to no avail.

I was wondering if there were numbers for the wages of a commoner, noble, guardsman etc within Khoras? In the merchandise section there are prices for the items, but without knowing how much your average bootmaker/priest/tailor makes it's difficult to gauge price!

Many thanks.

tanis

WOW! thats a great idea thanks for asking im sure DMR willl like this question ive been out of touch for awhile but this is really interesting!
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

avisarr

This IS an excellent question. Unfortunately, no, I don't have any data on that. There's nothing on the site that gives average pay for citizens. I invite anyone to chime in with suggestions. I'll add this to the site later. In the mean time, anyone out in the forum got time to crunch a few numbers? :)

tanis

well lets see, you once talked of how the average income of of say a peasant farmer might be only a few iron petties a year or something to that effect. it shoudn't be too hard its mostly a matter of comparing how much things cost to how expensive they were comparative to say Feudal Europe.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

sid6.7

well one way you could figure wages is use something generic
base on todays pricing...

I.E

the average home for a person is about 30% of thier total income...

so in khoras an apartment is 10 gold so income would be about 30 gold per month

a small house(lets pick the middle) 250 gold pro rated by 12 months would be 20 gold so income would be about 60 per month

a firearm today could easily cost 100% of your monthly income, so if a short bow is 40 gold income is 40 gold per month

then you see a pattern develop if you average the above, income might be around 43 gold per month for a commoner
so then you can compare different jobs from there...I.E police right now earn and average of 3 times more then a
minimum wage commoner so if a commoner earns 40 gold a soldier/policeman would be near 120 gold...not
100% accurate but ballpark ideas...

i  see that each country can have its own scaling of gold to silver to copper
so if gold is illegal for commoners then just replace it with equivalnet silver
or copper amounts per the country....

you can also look at some interesting thoughts on overviews here

for space: http://www.io.com/~sjohn/2space.htm

for medieval: http://www.io.com/~sjohn/demog.htm

you can also try some of my cheesy tools based on that here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gal24/

input some of daves country info's and see if you get something you like...

Spence

The numbers i tended to use were based off of the D&D Crafting for income system in 3.5.  So i'll break that down for ya's to show you that as well.

Max skill ranks allowable for a PC is 3+ the level of the character (so a first level character can have a max of 4 ranks in a skill).

In order to show the max amount for this i used a 20th level Wizard and Alchemy, but any craft can be used.  I'll use the 20th level Wizard again and break things down for you.

This wizard has 23 ranks in Alchemy, which is based on Intelligence, assuming a 20 intelligence, that number bumps up to 28 (+5 modifier from Intelligence).  Now this wizard fully plans on specializing in Alchemy, but i'll get into that abit later.

28 Modifier, assuming an average roll of 10 on a d20 comes out to 38, for income this is cut in half and we're down to 19.  This number 19, is how many silver pieces the wizard has earned for a weeks worth of work, so to get monthly income we multiply it by 4 and come up with 76.  To get the gold value of this we consult the book to find that 10 silver = 1 gold, so for a months worth of work the wizard has made 7g 6s. 

Ok now lets see what happens when the wizard has everything he/she needs to bump this skill to the maximum.

23 ranks in Alchemy
26 Intelligence (+8 modifier, the boost to intelligence comes from a magic item called a headband of intellect)
Skill Focus Alchemy (+3 bonus to Alchemy)
Alchemists Lab (+2 bonus to Alchemy)
and say an Assistant for a +2 circumstance bonus to Alchemy

23+8+3+2+2 = 38

Assuming an average roll of 10 once again we come out to 48 for the income roll, divide it in half for the actual outcome and we get 24.  Now to get the months income we multiply it again by 4 and get 96, 96 silver pieces which turns out to be 9 gold, 6 silver.

And that's only if he rips off his assistant and doesnt pay him/her! lol

Now, the reason i'm doing this in DnD lingo is to point a finger at all the DM's out there planning on running DnD campaigns in the world of khoras.  The above example was a level 20 wizard fully maxed out in alchemy with a 32pt buy system.  You cant expect your players characters to live off of their crafting skills alone.  Keep an eye on these boards and look for the possible alternatives aside from "phat lewt" in addies. :P

funny-popsicle

peasents usualy got no pay. They worked for their lords, in turn
for food, and a partial ownership of the land they worked on. But they
also owned their kings, queens, lords, etc certain
percentages of the gathered crops from their land and if.
The rest theyed sell on the market.

Metal workers, architects, stone workers, and craftsman, are
up for grabs for  kingdoms, so the king or marchion or whoemever
runs the community would give them pay, same with
alchemists, wizards or spell casters, anyone that could
do anything of use. Or they could open shops making their own prices.

If not that you really couldnt work for someone unless
you are an apprentice for a trade. And then there
pay is the piece of mind until they become a master
of the trade they are in. So i would stick as an
ogre raider and mercanary for hire :P gee whiz
are ogres great...

Spence

Very true on the lords and whatnot.  In most countries they imposed a heavy tax on their people, the figures i listed were before such things get taken into account.

Delbareth

Hello everybody

I had to develop a monetary system in my game. So I started from the most basic things everyone needs : food. I evaluated the cost of food in order that standard peasant can live. It means that I had to think about the income and outcome of a peasant family to eventually determine the cost of food. Then I used the samed method for another basic thing : clothes. A clothes maker must eat and sell his goods, and it determines the prices of clothes. And of course I had to check if what I did for peasant's outcome was coherent with new prices of clothes. And so on with few other basic jobs... The more work was done, the easier it was (I hope it's english ???). And at the end I have obtained the prices of a lot of things, the income of a lot of jobs, etc... And the more important is that these prices and incomes are very coherent :)
   But it's a lot of work to do! :o
Delbareth
Les MJ ne sont ni sadiques ni cruels, ce sont juste des artistes incompris.

funny-popsicle

ever feel like your doing more
work than playing the game  :o

lolz dunno you people should
stick to the old ways. Having a
trade ment you can open a shop
or be a hired for the kingdom.
And being a peasant ment you
owned land and had free food
and food you could sell, but owed
some of your crops to lords and kings
so  much easier :)

Spence

It is abit easier if you wanted to do that, however...when you're being a GM (Game Master which includes all variety of DM/ST/etc) it DOES require alot of work.  But for us GM's when we're able to answer any question, point our players in the direction of whatever things they need, and in general have everything set up and ready to go, our fun comes when our players have fun from all our work.

avisarr

I agree with Spence completely. Being a GM and worrying about all of the little details (such as how much money a peasant has) is a lot of work. However, it's very rewarding to be able to see your players adventure through your world. Besides, for most game masters, it's a labor of love. :)

tanis

haha yea its also fun 2 watch the lil pplz try 2 figure everything out when u already know how its gonna work out >:->