Short question on avarians

Started by Delbareth, July 23, 2007, 02:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delbareth

Hello

I just wanted to know if they are able to "stay in the same place in flight". I don't know how to say that in english :-[. I speak about the capabilities of some birds or insects (like dragonfly) to flight without going forward. And if they can, are they also able to flight backward?
I haven't seen that in their description, and it's a very  important point in my opinion.
Delbareth
Les MJ ne sont ni sadiques ni cruels, ce sont juste des artistes incompris.

Lance

I assume you mean like a humming bird?

Delbareth

Hum... I guess. The dictionnary do not confirm it clearly, but I guess you name them like that.
I have another example : a chopper. Do Avarians fly like a chopper?  :D
Delbareth

thc1967

"Hover" is the word you're looking for.  It means "to fly in a stationary position".

The animals you mentioned - hummingbirds and dragonflys - can only do it because of the architecture of their wings and the speed with which they can flap them.  Images of the Avarians lead me to believe they probably couldn't do this.

However, it's your campaign, right?  If you want them to be able to hover, make them able to hover. ;)

Lance

Quote from: thc1967 on July 24, 2007, 06:24:02 AM
However, it's your campaign, right?  If you want them to be able to hover, make them able to hover. ;)

I completely agree with this, maybe they are able to remain stationary in flight for a limited amount of time due to some innate racial ability. *shrugs* Just an idea.

Delbareth

"However, Avarians have difficulty hovering and are not able to fly backwards."

I had misunderstood the word 'hover', so now it's clear. And I had't seen the second part of the sentence...
For the fact that I can change whatever I want, it's obvious. But I played in a "fully self-imaginated" world for fifteen years and now I want to change that. I would like to follow this well built world without modifying every details :D. In fact I especially changed what did not go with my gamestyle (because it's sometimes DD-oriented, birk! ;)) But it's a large debate not related to the topic...
Thank you for your answers!
Delbareth

sid6.7

this is what roomes wrote i dont know if it was after your post or not...

"However, Avarians have difficulty hovering and are not able to fly backwards. Winged flight is typically three times faster than ground movement and the Avarians are very agile in the air."

there probably too large to hover so to speak although they maybe able to change direction quite abruptly
and give a sense of flying backwards or lifting straight up at a right angle....

I.E

he takes a dive at someone, but then puts on the breaks at the last minute and sort of lifts off... backs up...

watch some videos of hawks going after snakes and such...

Lance

Or snakes going after hawks! Much more interesting and if nothing else a lot more rare. :-P