Skills and some other stuff

Started by Kristian, September 01, 2005, 02:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

funny-popsicle

kinda stumped. I myself do not play

D and D board games alot :P. besides

tolkien quest books i dont play much of

rpg board games.

Could you put it into an organized table?

like you had with the athletics,melee weapons, etc ( btw mass

weapons is blunt weapons  ::) )

Yellow Eagle

Quote from: phaeton on May 04, 2006, 11:01:30 PM
Dragonquest is another system that has a skill based system. All characters can have what skill sets that they like and, as they rank their skills, by putting EP into them, they get better at them and gain more abilities ... healer for instance .. a Rank 0 healer can diagnose by 'Lay on hands' but they have to be rank 3 to actually heal fatigue or endurance damage and Rank 8 to ressurect.

The other thing about DQ is that mages can belong to one of 16 odd Colleges that have their own set of spells, general or special knowledge. All mages start off with knowing the General Knowledge spells of their college at rank 0 - the higher the rank the higher the cast chance of getting the spell to work and the more powerful the spell is (incidently the Drellis Effect works great with DQ as it adds or subtracts from the Cast Chance). Special Knowledge spells have to be taught to the PC which costs money, time .. and more experience.

For those that don't know .. Dragonquest was originally put out by SPI about the same time D&D first came out. TSR acquired it later, but did nothing with it so it's been largely forgotten .. except by enthusiasts.. look up www.dragonquest.org.nz for stuff and links ...

But yeah .. that's one way of setting up PCs with skill sets ...

Yeah, I agree, DQ is the best skill-based system out there, despite it being discontinued.  I am running a DQ game now, using Khoras as the world/setting.  It is a lot of work to convert to DQ, but it is worth it.  I have expanded it beyond 3rd edition and included various things from across the internet, much of it from here.

Delbareth

Just one word to say "Welcome on the Khoras forum Yellow Eagle".
The Khoras team ;) should be sleeping now so I welcome you. Do not hesitate to tell us what you do with Khoras, where do you play and something like that...
Delbareth
Les MJ ne sont ni sadiques ni cruels, ce sont juste des artistes incompris.

avisarr

I second that. I welcome you to Khoras and I do hope you'll let us know how your games are fairing. I'm always very interested to hear how people are using Khoras. And if you ever have a question related to Khoras, please ask.

Again, welcome! I hope your games go well. :)