Magic

Started by Golanthius, March 01, 2009, 02:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golanthius

I really like the additions and changes made to the magic section. Also how the different nations treat and deal with magic...Great stuff

avisarr

Thanks! I appreciate that.

I've still got some cleanup work I want to do on the Magic section, but I'll just continue that behind the scenes.

Delbareth

I really like the "arcanologist" since it is exactly what I call "sorcerer". :o  ;D
My sorcerers understand the way the magic works and instead of learning "stupidely" some spell by heart, they can built whatever spell they want to fit any situations. Of course they are not as good as the one who created the traditionnal spells and they are less powerfull than wizards. And if they study the right discipline, they can create and alter magical items like arcanologist.
For me Alliance Mages Lords were also sorcerers in order to be able to "built" the focusing spell (the best example of spell impossible to find in a book).
If find these similitudes very funny! :D
Delbareth
Les MJ ne sont ni sadiques ni cruels, ce sont juste des artistes incompris.

avisarr

Yeah, I love the arcanologist. In the current campaign that we started a couple of months ago, two of my players had very specific ideas about the types of characters they wanted to play, but their imagination proved more than third edition D&D could handle. So, we decided to make up two totally new character classes to fit their character concepts. I LOVE it when players come up with creative stuff like that. The arcanologist was one of those new character classes. By designing the class from scratch, we were able to make it a perfect fit for what he wanted to play and for the campaign.

In the absence of a true skills-based game, I think designing custom character classes is the next best thing.

tanis

That definitely sounds like a great idea.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Vertrax

While we are on the subject of magic, I noticed an ability that the arch-priests of Morcrya can use: "Godspeak" I have several interpretations of what this might mean but perhaps you can give my your definition?

I think they could mean:
- literally channel the voice of their god (like a spiritual medium)
- talk to said god as easily as to another person
- command a vast majority of people with the authority of a god (massive mental domination) using only their voice
- having access (through a spell) to a moment of omniscience that a god god has so as to speak as a god
If you have a cactus plant that dies on you, that means you are less nurturing than a desert

Delbareth

According to the abilities of the other ranks (empathy, telepathy, mental domination...), I think your third answer is the good one.
Delbareth
Les MJ ne sont ni sadiques ni cruels, ce sont juste des artistes incompris.

avisarr

I left that one open for interpretation. But I think it would be closer to #3 as well.