Europe Trip

Started by avisarr, May 31, 2010, 05:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avisarr

Mark Price (my best friend and frequent collaborator and helper on Khoras) and I are planning a trip to Europe in August of this year. The details aren't 100% set yet, but I can give you a rough outline. We are going to be visiting the Mediterranean coast of Spain, France and Italy. Probably flying into Barcelona and then working our way along the coast through southern France and into northern Italy. It'll be a total of about 2 weeks - from around Aug 12 to 24 or something like that.

I'm taking a new digital camera with me and will be taking several hundred photos on this trip specifically for Khoras. When I get back, I'll use Photoshop and other software to mold them into something useful for the site. My hope is to get as many new images for Khoras as I can.

If any of you live in Europe and will be in southern France during August of this year, let me know. Perhaps we can hook up for a lunch. Also, I'll be uploading photos to the web each day as we go. If you're interested in following our progress on the trip, you can the photos and comments as I post them.

Anyway, I'll post more details here to the forum as we get closer to the trip.

Delbareth

I'm probably the closest to your road trip but I don't know were I will be at this time.
I'm afraid I will be quite busy to do the trip to the south of France (either in the lab or gone for vacations)   :-[
Delbareth
Les MJ ne sont ni sadiques ni cruels, ce sont juste des artistes incompris.

avisarr

No problem. I'll be posting lots of stuff online - forum posts, photos, etc. I'll be sharing the trip online as much as possible. Hope a few of you follow along... :)

Laurent MEKKA

I'm in Marseilles ! Not sure about my holidays tough, but for now, I'm here !

avisarr

Hey, that's great. We're going to be passing right through that area. Perhaps we can hook up for a lunch or something.

Laurent MEKKA

Great, tell me around which date you'll be there ! I may go in Germany on August 7, 8 and 9, not sure yet

Kristian

Hey.

*wipes the dust off his forum profile*

If you are going through or passing by Luxembourg, let me know. Though I realise it's not really in the neighbourhood. :) I've moved here because of a job and have lived here since April. Anyway, I hope you guys have an excellent trip! Lots of great places to see in Southern Europe.
- Kristian

tanis

It's a little off topic, but I've always wanted to backpack across Europe. Southern Europe should be beautiful, so I hope you guys have fun.

Also, HOLY CRAP! It's Kristian! :P Glad to see you back, man.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

avisarr

Mark and I are half way through the trip. We've been to Barcelona, Spain and also explored the region around Perpignan, France. Right now we're in Arles and will be heading to Marseilles in a couple of days.

I'm having a great time. So far I've visited four major castles and taken several hundred photos for Khoras. Looking forward to posting many new photos to the site.

Also, welcome back Krystian! Unfortunately, we're not going to be anywhere near Luxembourg.  ;)

Kristian

I figured  :)

I'm looking forward to seeing all the new pictures. Glad you're having a good trip so far.

And thanks for the welcome back, guys. I do read here from time to time. Just saw the Europe thing and figured I'd chime in.
- Kristian

tanis

Seriously though. All of our regulars are just about gone or are at least content not to chime in. >,> For my part, I'd just like to get to talk to everybody more often than once or twice a year. XDDD So... speak up, even if just to say hi or that you found an awesome local bar or something. Lol. It's good to know you're not dead at least.

And as for you and Mark, Dave, I'm glad you're having a great time. Arles and Marseilles huh? That's pretty cool. I'm getting rusty but I can speak a little French. But I really don't think I'd like Paris. If I ever went to France, I'd probably shoot for places like Nice and Marseilles, maybe Avignon, or Cannes. I'd really like to see Normandy. If you can, keep us updated a bit on where you go, I'd like to hear at least the major stops. :D
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Lance

I would personally like to hear about the minor stops. Rest rooms trips, benches sat on, places where you have been bitten by a bug, etc.

tanis

LOL. That too, Lance, that too.

avisarr

We're back! Got back to Seattle late last night. The trip was great. Took a mountain of photos. Can't wait to start uploading them to Khoras. But it's going to take some time to sort them, photoshop them, etc.

Places we went:

Barcelona Cathedral - an 800 year old cathedral in the heart of medieval Barcelona
Fort de Salses - a cool border fortress in the Catayluna region
Peyrepertuse - huge castle top Catthar fortress/castle (this was my favorite)
Chateau de Queribus - another mountain top Catthar castle
Chateaux de Castelnou - yet another mountain top castle with a great medieval village (this was Mark's favorite)
Collioure - coastal town that was in the middle of a yearly festival
Arena d'Arles - a roman era coliseum
Carcassone - huge medieval fortified city
Chateau des Baux - large ruined castle on a hill top
Saint Remy - a medieval town famous for having the asylum was Van Gogh stayed
Glanum - a large set of roman ruins
Chateau d'If - the infamous island prison featured in "The Count of Monte Cristo"
The Isles of Frioul - some islands off the coast of Marseilles
Hopital Caroline - A ruined abbey/hospital on the isles of Frioul
Notre Dame de la Garde - Fantastic hill top church with a stunning view of Marseilles
Montmajour Abbey - A 1000 year old Benedictine monastery outside Arles.

Things I liked about France: Loved all the medieval stuff. Towns, crumbling mountain top castles, cathedrals, etc.

Stuff I didn't like about France: everything there is SMALL! Small beds, small bathrooms, small roads, small doors... it's like the land of the little people. Also, four hour meals, snooty waiters, crazy drivers.

I can't really remember all of the little stops. If you're interested, I could post the day to day journal that I was keeping.

Overall, it was totally worth it. I'm definitely planning on doing another trip in a year or two.

Delbareth

Ha!
We are hobbits in the Shire! ;D
I hope you didn't meet only snooty halflings! ;)
Delbareth
Les MJ ne sont ni sadiques ni cruels, ce sont juste des artistes incompris.