More fantasy/sci-fi massive worldbuilding projects on the Net

Started by MysticWind, February 09, 2006, 11:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MysticWind

I asked about this on the old forum, or perhaps via email:

Khoras is awesome and all, but are there any other massive fantasy worldbuilding projects online?  It'd be kind of sad if this is the only thing.

avisarr

Yes, there are many, MANY other worlds out there. I have looked at hundreds of them. On the Khoras site, on the Awards & Links page, I have hyperlinks to a list of the very best of them. (At least, the best of the ones I've seen so far, in my opinion).

There are also many lists of worlds out there. Just do an line search with Google and you will find them. Type in keywords like ("campaign setting" or "created worlds") and you'll find thousands of them.

Some of them are collaborative projects where large groups of people work on them together. Some of those sites are massive. I'm not sure what the biggest created world is. I used to think that Khoras was the biggest, but it's hard to tell. I can tell you for certain that Khoras is over 1000 HTML pages. And most of those pages have a lot of content on them. But I don't know for certain the size of many of the other sites.

Here's a question for anyone out there... is there a tool or utility to count up the number of words in a web site? I've wanted to do that with Khoras for years, but I don't want to have to count them all. Frontpage can count the words on a page, but not a site. Anyone have any ideas on how I could do that?

This is just to satisfy my own curiosity. I would love to know how many words are in the site, counting just the content and ignoring all the HTML tags and such.

sid6.7

Quote from: David Roomes on February 10, 2006, 11:08:02 AM
Yes, there are many, MANY other worlds out there. I have looked at hundreds of them. On the Khoras site, on the Awards & Links page, I have hyperlinks to a list of the very best of them. (At least, the best of the ones I've seen so far, in my opinion).

There are also many lists of worlds out there. Just do an line search with Google and you will find them. Type in keywords like ("campaign setting" or "created worlds") and you'll find thousands of them.

Some of them are collaborative projects where large groups of people work on them together. Some of those sites are massive. I'm not sure what the biggest created world is. I used to think that Khoras was the biggest, but it's hard to tell. I can tell you for certain that Khoras is over 1000 HTML pages. And most of those pages have a lot of content on them. But I don't know for certain the size of many of the other sites.

Here's a question for anyone out there... is there a tool or utility to count up the number of words in a web site? I've wanted to do that with Khoras for years, but I don't want to have to count them all. Frontpage can count the words on a page, but not a site. Anyone have any ideas on how I could do that?

This is just to satisfy my own curiosity. I would love to know how many words are in the site, counting just the content and ignoring all the HTML tags and such.

a web spider of some sort i would imagine...i could probably make a primitve kind(qbasic)
but it would take quite awhile to make(for me) and it would be slow(1 page at a time.
you'd have to run it 1000 times total)

sid6.7

Quote from: MysticWind on February 09, 2006, 11:09:18 PM
I asked about this on the old forum, or perhaps via email:

Khoras is awesome and all, but are there any other massive fantasy worldbuilding projects online?  It'd be kind of sad if this is the only thing.

you can start here:

http://www.profantasy.com/community/users.asp

http://users.tkk.fi/~vesanto/link.networld/networlds.html

this isnt even 1/10,000 of the number of RPGs out there
it will be hit or miss.....

i dont think there are any as big as khoras that are FREE..

i cant remember the names but, there was 1-2 that were very detailed
but i dont think they had 1000 pages...

Thyrencia?
drak?

to give you an idea how HUGE khoras really is?

my RPG site is only about 35 pages and its taken me
9 MONTHS...to get that far...my WHOLE website
has only 137 pages and thats been since 1998
i've worked on that.......

avisarr

Sid6.7 just gave you the main list. It's the ~vesanto one. http://users.tkk.fi/~vesanto/link.networld/networlds.html  That link takes you to the Worlds in the Net list. It's been online for years and it is, without a doubt, the most complete list of created worlds out there. It lists HUNDREDS of worlds. It doesn't rate them. It just lists them. But still, it's a great place to start.

Thanks for digging up that link Sid. I was thinking of that one in particular, but couldn't remember where it was.

The other world that you're thinking of is The Accounts of Thyrenacia. The web link is http://www.thyrenacia.com/thyrenacia/index.html. I really like his world. It's not the biggest on the net, but it's very complete and has lots of content to explore. And I think it's graphically and visually, probably the best looking created world I've ever come across. I really love his use of graphics. He has even gone to the trouble of creating characters in a 3D program called Poser. (At least, I think he's using Poser). Anyway, it's a very polished site. I am working, slowly but steadily, toward making Khoras more graphical and polished like his site.

The biggest and most detailed site I have ever come across is The Santharian Dreamhttp://www.santharia.com/    I don't know if it's bigger than Khoras, but it has a similar level of detail. Santharia just "feels" huge. It's definitely one of the best sites I've seen. I don't know how many people work on Santharia, but it's a large group. I think they've got a team of about 50 people working on it. It's a very collaborative world.

There are many other good worlds out there: Agyris, Fargoth, Jhendor, Karanblade, Khaas, Majai, Meln, Mythosa, Sulerin and so on. To see the complete list, go to the Awards and Links page on Khoras. Once again, that list is just the very best worlds that I've come across. There's only about 15 or so, but they are all very good worlds.

sid6.7

your welcome..no problamo!

that santhran one might be the other i cant
quite remeber...

i still think your the biggest free one there is though
i looked far and wide for awhile some get pertty detailed
but i dont know of any with 1000 pages...

at the rate i am going it will take me " literally"
90 years to catch up....LOL thats how huge
you are...

my inspirations are khoras, jhendor and breminor in that order...

i found that even with the detail of khoras its one of the
more easier understood worlds cuase its website is orderly
and flows smooth..where as some of the other very detailed
world its too chopped up...

avisarr

Thank you! I appreciate that. I've worked hard to make Khoras organized and easy to navigate and I think Khoras does pretty well at that.

You're right. I have seen some worlds out there that are a navigational nightmare. There's tons of contents, but it's fragmented and all over the place. You just don't know where to start. I think a site should be set up so its easy to find stuff. Otherwise, it's not useful.