The Medieval Hunt

Started by tanis, November 18, 2016, 02:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanis

I just came across an interesting scholarly article on the institution of the medieval Hunt as it relates to understanding European martial arts, and I thought I would link it here, because it made me think about the Normidian Hunt, especially of the Torgat, and I thought it might inspire some ideas about how to flesh that out more fully in the future.

I should note that the article is not focused nearly so much on the actual coordination or logistics of the activity as it is on arguing for hunting dangerous game as a high-level training method for understanding historically-accurate swordsmanship, but I still thought it was interesting, and it has quite a few really interesting quotes from sources like Xenophon, John I of Portugal, and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Here's the link: http://actaperiodica.org/documents/APD2014/APD2_R_Swinney_S_Crawfort_DOI20150017.pdf
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

David Roomes

Thanks for sharing! Great article. Definitely gave me some good ideas...
David M. Roomes
Creator of the World of Khoras

tanis

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.