Tools in Khoras

Started by tanis, May 03, 2006, 04:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanis

Hi, I was looking at the tools section, and I noticed that one iron nail cost 5 iron, roughly. I just wanted to say that, and I don't care if your just giving a reasonable rpg price, but just so you know, in the olden days, iron nails were very expensive. In fact, when the Homesteaders in the 1870's started moving, they burnt down their old houses before they left for the nails.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Spence

As far as the long term, the price is very correct.

Consider this.

A farmer toils all day every day during the spring, planting seeds, watering his crops, sowing the crops.  All day every day during the summer he tends to those crops to help them grow.  Then all day every day during the fall he harvests those crops very carefully.  In the end, he makes about 10 gold.  That 10 gold must last him until the next fall, including the price of new seeds, work animals, tools, home maintenance, food for himself and his family as well as the animals. 

For the average person in a fantasy setting, those nails are very expensive.  For an adventurer they arent, but adventurers are far from your average, run of the mill person in a fantasy setting.

tanis

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Spence

I can expand on this some more as well.  Lets assume you have a 20th level NPC wizard.  He doesnt adventure, but he sells alchemical supplies (Craft: alchemy).  Now the maximum ranks in a skill for a 20th level character in DnD is 3+ level.  So said wizard has 23 ranks in Craft: Alchemy.

Now lets add some things to this.  The wizard takes the Skill Focus Feat for an additional +3 modifier to the skill, we're up to 26.  Lets say he has a 20 intelligence (+5 modifier) That bumps his alchemy up to 31.  Now add in an alchemists lab, his modifier is now 33.

Assuming an average roll on a d20 of 10, the wizard will get 43.  Half of this is the number of gold pieces he can make per week.  21.5 gp per week for a monthly income of 86 gold pieces. 

By commoner standards he's living large.  By adventurer standards....he's a broke fool for even trying to live that way.  The average amount of treasure per adventure that a 20th level PC should get is 180,000gp.  This figure is of course before expenses (cost of magic items, potions, transportation, NPC services, etc etc) so the PC would end up with less than that...but these numbers should give you an idea of the difference between an Adventurer and a commoner NPC.

Spence

tanis